New Efficient Equipment - Need Some Advice

Jun 20, 2013
Hello all, very glad to have found this site, very informative.

I could use some help selecting a new pool filter pump, dropped a tree on my Hayward 1 HP Superpump. The pool is a 20 x 40 IG, about 40k gal, Hayward model 4800 DE filter.

That's essentially the equipment that came with the pool, and I've never really spent any time making sure the equipment is right-sized, & while looking for a new pump, I've learned how much new & more efficient equipment is available today.

So with the goal of lowering electric bills, automating as much of the operation as possible, and someday being able to control the system from my iPhone, I join the TFP conversation.

I think my first step is to find the most energy efficient, energy star rebatable, right sized variable speed pump & go from there.

Pentair Intelliflo seems to have been around for awhile, I never had problems w my Hayward stuff, & I've also heard good things about Speck pumps. Money always a concern, but the long term savings & efficiency is the point - any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

I've had a Hayward 4800 DE filter for a long time and that combined with the 1 HP Hayward Superpump have done okay, but I'm using the opportunity of having to replace/repair the pump to look at the whole system.

After a little research, can't help thinking I can do better with new equipment. (But also fine with simply ordering a replacement motor if it's all too wildly expensive.)

Looking for a long term plan to cut down electric bill , improve system efficiency.

Well 40k is a guesstimate, it's 20' x 40', 4' deep in the shallow end, 8' deep where the diving board used to be, could be 36k or so, but that's why I'm reviewing the whole setup.

The current system has worked okay I guess, but I think it can be improved upon for both efficiency & cost.

Btw, I have a Polaris 280 cleaner w booster pump as well. Any advice on sizing pump & filter would be much appreciated. Thanks.

So for 36k, minimum filter size recommendations would be:
533 sqft cartridge
6.7 sqft sand (35"diameter)
100 sqft DE

So your filter is half the size we would recommend. You could get by with somewhat smaller with short sessions and low debris.

Thanks all for responses - my self education continues. From a variety of sources what I get so far is that a Pentair Intelliflo is a money no object solution, but some folks have had trouble with the bells & whistles.

Realizing I should both invest a little time in learning about the swimming pool biz, and make a decision before swim season is over here in NJ. (can it possibly make sense for Pentair for example to make so many similar models????)

So I may attempt a repair on my 1hp Hayward Superpump's motor, keep it for backup, and also maybe try a higher end variable speed, hoping to get the one least likely to break down.

My pool guy likes the simple one speeds but when I remind him that I want lower utility bills, he does admit that variable speeds can deliver that. I'm thinking that, unless I was unlucky enough to get a lemon, a Pentair Intelliflo 011018, 3 HP, 230v sounds like its adjustable & eventually programmable - but does anyone really need 8 speeds/modes, wouldn't 4 do?

Any general suggestions? Many thanks

Cheaper option would be to just get a new 2 speed motor for your existing pump. Running on low will get most of the power savings of the VS pump. Or look at the new smaller Hayward VS pumps, specifically the Max flo.

Do you really need a 3 HP pump?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Strictly speaking, no, but the 3 HP Intelliflo was an attempt to find the most flexible, adjustable, controllable from an iPhone eventually pump out there, around which I could eventually construct the most efficient system I could dream up.

So as a long term investment in efficiency designed to keep from enriching PSE&G, that's my first attempt, would love to hear if anyone has had a better idea than intelliflo/easy touch.

At a lower price point, how exactly do Pentair 2 speed superflo vs pumps work? Worth looking into?

Btw, so far I have not been able to find any NJ rebates for Energy Star pool pumps. can that possibly be true???

We have no rebates here either.

I do not under stand your question toward the end there. The superflo is a 2 speed pump, you can either manually have a switch to pick between high and low, add a timer to switch between speeds, or use an automation system to switch between speeds.

2 speed pumps run at either 3450 rpm or 1725rpm. On low they move half the water for 1/4 the electricity as high speed.

The advantage of a true VS pump is that you can select any speed and can save as little more power by running down at 1000 rpm. The motor design is also slightly more efficient at higher speeds as well.

The problem is the VS are much more expensive than a 2 speed. So if your power is cheap and you get no rebates, then you may never recoup the higher initial cost in electrical savings over a 2 speed.

So what is needed besides say, a 2 speed Pentair to realize savings? What sort of automatic switch or timer would be involved? I currently have older setpin type timers that turn my filter pump & Polaris on & off - something else neededI'm guessing .

Either another mechanical timer to pick speeds. Or more simply, just use a 3 way light switch, leaving the pump on low speed at all times and only switch to high speed when needed.