Where to go from here?

Jun 3, 2012
Louisville, KY
My brand new pump I installed last year is having problems. It's run fine since installed last summer, but Tuesday evening, when I went to turn it on (manual-no timer) it just hummed for about 3 seconds then cut off. It does this every time you try to start it now.

Did some searching and found the first thig to check was that it's not a seized motor by manually spinning the empellor and seeing if it moves. It does spin when I twist it! (Good thing, right?)

Then I saw that its usually a bad capacitor. Got a new one today, hooked it up, and same issue. It just hums for 3 sec or so, then shuts off.

I'm at a loss. Where do I go from here? What should I check next.

You have hit the usual suspects. There may be a centrifugal switch that is stuck on the end of the motor attached to a spring. See if it moves and maybe clean the contacts?

Have there been ANY changes to the wiring in the house?

Has any new load been placed on the circuit which feeds the pump? If there are any other items on the same circuit, do they all function as normal?

How soon after it trips can it be re-started (such as it is)?

Either the current is inadequate or there is some kind of protective switch being tripped.

I'm assuming this has nothing to do with speed selection circuitry (since I have no idea what that circuitry looks like)

Anything to make it hotter than it used to be?

Wow, I was just gonna ask about the same problem. I have a 1 year old jandy flo pro 1.5 hp 2speed pump that won't start when the timer kicks on. I did add an autopilot nano to the circuit this year, but everything was fine up until a couple weeks ago. The pump starts fine in low speed, and I can switch to high once it's started.

Unfortunately I cannot run on low speed as it doesn't generate enough flow for the swcg. I'm going to check the centrifugal switch in the morning.

...sure do love this forum..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.