Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Acid Consumption / PH Creep

1. Back To Top    #1

Acid Consumption / PH Creep

Hey all,

I have to put about 36 ounces of acid a day in the pool. Is there anything I can do to minimize this? I tried adding borates last year, but it only upped my dosage required. What makes the PH climb so much?

30,000 gal salt water pool

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Acid Consumption / PH Creep

What makes the PH climb so much?
    It can be many things. Please post your pH, TA and CH.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Cypress, TX

Re: Acid Consumption / PH Creep

Do you have any water features? What about a spa spillover? I have all of the above. The water features are used minimally but the spillover is continuous when the pump is running. When the infloor cleaners kick on in the spa then it's even more spillover than normal. All those things tend to raise the ph. I use about the same amount of MA daily as you do. It's just what my pool likes. My TA is around 60-70 and I have not yet resorted to borates but thinking about it.
    23x40 freeform w/spa, 28,000 gal. PCC-2000 in-floor cleaning. Pebble Sheen w/flagstone coping. 14' weeping wall, (2) 18" sheer descents. Sta Rite- cart 400 sqft. filter, Intellipro VS pump, 1hp (cleaning)2hp (water feature)Max E Pro's. Easy Touch 8 function w/IPod. Rainbow chlorinator, Paramount Clear O3 (I know, I know), Max-E-Therm 400K heater.