Online water testing?

May 3, 2008
rock springs, wi
I will be setting up my 27' round AGP in the next few weeks. Is there any benefit to getting my raw water tested for ph, TA, etc., in advance of the initial fill-up so that I can determine approximately how much chemicals I will need to add to get ph and TA adjusted? In other words, if I know the starting levels, and I know the approximate gallons in the pool, can I determine in advance how much of which chemicals I will need to add to get the correct levels?

If yes, are there any on-line testing compnaies where I can send a water sample? (I do not want to go to the local pool store since I am not purchasing a pool from them)

I think you'd be better off to buy your own test kit to test the water. Then you can get familiar with your chemistry.

Lots of people go to the pool store to get tests done without buying anything.

I think you're better off getting your own kit. Take some water with you to the pool store so they can test it while you're purchasing the kit. Get a basic kit as you'll want to buy the TFP kit for all your tests going forward.

Is there any benefit to getting my raw water tested for ph, TA, etc., in advance of the initial fill-up so that I can determine approximately how much chemicals I will need to add to get ph and TA adjusted? In other words, if I know the starting levels, and I know the approximate gallons in the pool, can I determine in advance how much of which chemicals I will need to add to get the correct levels?

Hi, Bob,

You bring up a very good point. There is a huge advantage in testing your water beforehand.

I always use the roadmap example. A road map with a destination (balanced pool water) is absolutely meaningless unless you know the starting point.

It also give you the opportunity and confidence to do experimental testing so you're all set when your pool is ready.

Naturally, I'm prejudice, but your own kit will be one of the single best investments you will make in your pool.

Water needs to be tested almost immediately after the sample is taken for accurate chlorine readings. Poolside is far and away the best option.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.