Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Online water testing?

1. Back To Top    #1

Online water testing?

I will be setting up my 27' round AGP in the next few weeks. Is there any benefit to getting my raw water tested for ph, TA, etc., in advance of the initial fill-up so that I can determine approximately how much chemicals I will need to add to get ph and TA adjusted? In other words, if I know the starting levels, and I know the approximate gallons in the pool, can I determine in advance how much of which chemicals I will need to add to get the correct levels?

If yes, are there any on-line testing compnaies where I can send a water sample? (I do not want to go to the local pool store since I am not purchasing a pool from them)
    27' AGP with 6' deep end (AquaLeader); 3/4 hp, 2 speed pump (Pentair); 22" sand filter (Pentair Sand Dollar); 2 4x20 Solar Bear panels with Goldline control valve

2. Back To Top    #2
    I think you'd be better off to buy your own test kit to test the water. Then you can get familiar with your chemistry.

Lots of people go to the pool store to get tests done without buying anything.
    14x33 fiberglass freeform
    Variable speed Pentair intelliflo superpump
    420 Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter.
    pool-school/pool_calculator , http://www.tftestkits.net/

3. Back To Top    #3

I think you're better off getting your own kit. Take some water with you to the pool store so they can test it while you're purchasing the kit. Get a basic kit as you'll want to buy the TFP kit for all your tests going forward.
    blubluenoiseise

My pool: 14,750 gallons in-ground plaster
    FAFCO Solar panels (seven 4' x 12') with a Goldline automatic controller
    1/2 HP WhisperFlo filter pump, Kreepy Krauly cleaner, Cartridge Filter
    Aquarite SWG, Satisfied user of the TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Is there any benefit to getting my raw water tested for ph, TA, etc., in advance of the initial fill-up so that I can determine approximately how much chemicals I will need to add to get ph and TA adjusted? In other words, if I know the starting levels, and I know the approximate gallons in the pool, can I determine in advance how much of which chemicals I will need to add to get the correct levels?
    Hi, Bob,

You bring up a very good point. There is a huge advantage in testing your water beforehand.

I always use the roadmap example. A road map with a destination (balanced pool water) is absolutely meaningless unless you know the starting point.

It also give you the opportunity and confidence to do experimental testing so you're all set when your pool is ready.

Naturally, I'm prejudice, but your own kit will be one of the single best investments you will make in your pool.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5
    Water needs to be tested almost immediately after the sample is taken for accurate chlorine readings. Poolside is far and away the best option.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat