Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Murky water & green stains

1. Back To Top    #1

Murky water & green stains

I'm noticing a handful of green stains at the bottom of my pool. I recently bought the home and switched to a SWG. The plaster is old, stained, and really needs to be remarcited (it's cosmetic so I don't want to spend the money right now). Anyway, I think the green stains may have been there from the start but I'm not sure.

I should mention my FC was super high for a while (11-13) so I really don't think I have an active algae growth. I scrub and scrub and they don't come off. My FC now is 6.5.

Whenever I brush my pool sides and bottom I kick up large clouds of murky water. It gets so bad that I can't see the bottom very well. Note: I'm only brushing and do not have a robot hooked up. Perhaps I should fix the one I have or buy a new one? I can feel debris on the bottom of the pool so I'm not sure how well my bottom drain is working.

Suggestions?
    15K gal, IG plaster, screened, Marathon Electric 1 HP single speed pump, Hayward c-900 cartridge, Hayward SwimPure 40K SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Murky water & green stains

I should add that the water clears up. It doesn't stay murky. It's only murky when I brush.
    15K gal, IG plaster, screened, Marathon Electric 1 HP single speed pump, Hayward c-900 cartridge, Hayward SwimPure 40K SWG

3. Back To Top    #3

I should also add that my pH was 8.0 for a while. I have just lowered it to 7.5.

4. Back To Top    #4

What type brush are you using?

Have you tried rubbing a trichlor tab on the stain? If it lightens, the stain is organic and will fade w/time and higher chlorine levels.

If no joy, then try rubbing/holding cheap viitamin C tabs on the stain (crush some in a sock). If it lightens, the stain is caused by metals.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

It would help if you post a full set of test results.

You could also do an OCLT to rule out (or in ) organics.
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm using a nylon, metal-free brush. I believe the brand is Gorilla.

My current levels:
    FC 6.5
    CC 0.0
    CYA ~85-87
    pH 7.5
    TA 70
    CH 250

7. Back To Top    #7

It would have helped a great deal if you had shared this problem before you started posting about low CYA and adding too much CYA and so on.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

I hear you. Any idea what the murkiness (when brushing) and green stains could be from?

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by doglover78
    I hear you. Any idea what the murkiness (when brushing) and green stains could be from?
    Go back up a couple posts and see directions to test the stain to see what caused the stain and the suggested OCLT to help rule out organics as a reason for the murkiness.

You also need another brush:
    Nylon is for vinyl, fiberglass, tile, and plaster that is less than one year. (Plaster includes any exposed aggregate and marcite finish, btw!) Combo brushes are for older plaster. All stainless are for algae (very stubborn green algae and also the ONLY brush for black algae.)

You CAN unscrew the Wall Whale from the nylon brush it comes with and screw it on a combo brush if your plaster is over a year old. Newer plaster is really too soft for anything other than a nylon brush.