My levels after some adjustments

May 24, 2013
South Florida
I've added muriatic acid and cyanuric acid to balance the pH and CYA. Here are my current readings:

FC 6.5
CC 0.0
CYA ~85-87
pH 7.5
TA 70
CH 250

So, I know I need to lower the FC. Everything else look good? We're entering the sunnier/hotter/humid/rainy season here in South Florida.

Any recommendations out there for the FC target level for my situation? I'm thinking of targeting 4-4.5. How does that sound?

I'm currently running my SWG at 30% with the pool pump at 8 hrs/day. I was just linked to a study done here in South Florida that showed decreasing the pump run time to below 4 hrs/day showed no decrease in water quality or need for more chemicals. I plan to mess with the pump run time and SWG % until I get it just right. It seems as though the 8 hrs recommended to me by the pool store installer was WAY too much, huh?!

I'm learning a lot here! Thanks everyone!

doglover78 said:
Okay, thanks. I don't need to drain if my CYA is 85, do I?
You just added the expensive liquid CYA, why would you want to drain it the next day? Didn't I advise you to shoot low? :hammer:

You will lose some CYA to backwashing and splashout. Don't add anymore, and don't be using trichlor pucks, either! You're already too low on FC. You'll be needing to maintain FC between 7 and 10 from here on out. If you let it fall too low, you're begging for an algae bloom, and with that CYA level, you'll be buying bleach by the barrel, not the jug, to clear it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.