Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My levels after some adjustments

1. Back To Top    #1

My levels after some adjustments

I've added muriatic acid and cyanuric acid to balance the pH and CYA. Here are my current readings:

FC 6.5
    CC 0.0
    CYA ~85-87
    pH 7.5
    TA 70
    CH 250

So, I know I need to lower the FC. Everything else look good? We're entering the sunnier/hotter/humid/rainy season here in South Florida.

Any recommendations out there for the FC target level for my situation? I'm thinking of targeting 4-4.5. How does that sound?

I'm currently running my SWG at 30% with the pool pump at 8 hrs/day. I was just linked to a study done here in South Florida that showed decreasing the pump run time to below 4 hrs/day showed no decrease in water quality or need for more chemicals. I plan to mess with the pump run time and SWG % until I get it just right. It seems as though the 8 hrs recommended to me by the pool store installer was WAY too much, huh?!

I'm learning a lot here! Thanks everyone!
    15K gal, IG plaster, screened, Marathon Electric 1 HP single speed pump, Hayward c-900 cartridge, Hayward SwimPure 40K SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My levels after some adjustments

Check this chart out.

This will give a better idea of where you need to be on your FC. Tried and true levels.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

Okay, thanks. I don't need to drain if my CYA is 85, do I?
    15K gal, IG plaster, screened, Marathon Electric 1 HP single speed pump, Hayward c-900 cartridge, Hayward SwimPure 40K SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by doglover78
    Okay, thanks. I don't need to drain if my CYA is 85, do I?
    You just added the expensive liquid CYA, why would you want to drain it the next day? Didn't I advise you to shoot low?

You will lose some CYA to backwashing and splashout. Don't add anymore, and don't be using trichlor pucks, either! You're already too low on FC. You'll be needing to maintain FC between 7 and 10 from here on out. If you let it fall too low, you're begging for an algae bloom, and with that CYA level, you'll be buying bleach by the barrel, not the jug, to clear it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!