Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stains on plaster

1. Back To Top    #1

Stains on plaster

I have a number of different types of stains on my plaster, and I'm trying to diagnose what they are. Some of the stains were there when we bought the house, so I'm not sure what the previous owners did or did not do to cause it.

Light blue - large parts of the plaster are blue and splotchy. It looks like it's actually a part of the plaster to me, so maybe just a faulty plaster job?

[attachment=2:1ui02u9h]2013-06-20 16.44.18.jpg[/attachment:1ui02u9h]

Grey - patches of it are grey and splotchy. Looks very similar to the blue splotchy patches, except for the color.

[attachment=1:1ui02u9h]2013-06-20 16.44.24.jpg[/attachment:1ui02u9h]

Brown - this is relatively recent. I've been fighting off what appears to be pollen accumulating on the bottom of the pool. In certain spots it appears to have gotten into cracks and I can't seem to get it out. I tried the ascorbic acid test with no luck, so the stains don't appear to be metallic. Notice that there's also some grey in this picture.

[attachment=0:1ui02u9h]2013-06-20 16.48.00.jpg[/attachment:1ui02u9h]

Any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Houston, Texas

Re: Stains on plaster

The middle picture looks a lot like the mottling on my grey plaster although mine is not quite as severe. I don't believe I have calcium scale. Onbalance has written about this issue. It could be a defect in the plaster job. You should search for his posts.
    9,200 gal. Gunite Luna Quartz French Grey pool with spill over spa, two fountains on tanning ledge (rarely used)
    Pentair Whisperflo 2HP, Pentair CCP Cartridge 420 Sq. Ft., Polaris 280 with booster pump
    Pentair EasyTouch 4, RayPak LoNox 266k Natural Gas heater, Aqua Rite SWCG T Cell 9, Borates, TF-100 test kit