TroubleFreePat

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 5, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hey gang - new pool owner here. I've been following the advice in the Pool School here regarding where my chemical levels should be. I just received a "manual" from Leisure Pools and they have their own recommendations in there.

There's minute differences, and I ASSUME it best to follow Leisure's recommendations since they talk about keeping a log for warranty purposes and for the warranty, I must be in XYZ range. Here's what they're telling me -

FC: 1-2
pH: 7.2-7.4
Alk: 80-120, 100 is best
CH: 150-200, 150 is best
CYA: 30-50

Some of the lower numbers surprised me, but what's everyone think?

Re: Difference between manufacturer's recommendations and TF

The FC does not take the CYA into account ... you MUST keep the FC levels higher with the CYA.
Beyond that, they seem pretty similar to me ... I would try to stay on the low end of the TA range to slow the pH rise due to the SWG ... this also likely means your pool will want to stay at higher pH levels (7.6-7.8) which really should not matter.

I would certainly talk to them about the warranty and see if they can justify the levels and find out how flexible their warranty is if you were to follow TFP advice.

Just for reference, their manual states that lower TA "will lead to the water attacking the walls of the" pool. They do also talk about the pH and TA and how they work off each other and such.

They seem pretty adamant throughout the manual with quotes, such as, "...in order to maintain your Lifetime Structural Warranty on your [pool] you must maintain a pH level of 7.2 to 7.4." Anyway. . .

Seems most of the numbers are close enough from both TFP and the manu that I really shouldn't have issues. It's the wild swings I need to worry about!

The only big problem I see there is low FC potentially leading to algae, I do have to wonder though what their ranges would be if you had an SWG or do they not warranty pools that have SWG's?

Ike

p.s. Personally I would rather not have a warranty than to be constantly fighting algae outbreaks if those were the two choices.

They do have a SWG ... which really should factor into the recommendations, like TFP does.

It would be beneficial if they just stated something like a CSI range that should be maintained.

What is interesting is if you use 7.2, TA 80, CH 150, CYA 50 with temp of 84 ... the CSI is -0.6 (right on the edge)
Using the other bounds the CSI is -0.07

Seems to me if you stayed between those, it should not matter what each parameter was ... allowing you to have a higher pH and low TA.

But I did not write the warranty.

Every pool is different. My pH and CH are much higher and my TA is much lower. I keep FC around 4-5 based on CYA of 70 with a SWCG.

My CSI is usually slightly negative so I don't have scaling problems.

But if I tried to keep TA and CH within these limits it would be a full time job and I'd have to replace water frequently (I have high CH tap water).

Thanks for all the comments. Good point on the CSI, Jason. I'll definitely keep that in mind as well. Right now, I'm working on slowly getting the CYA up. pH is perfect right now, which means I get to mess with it as I try to get the TA up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.