Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Tree Fell in the Pool :-(

1. Back To Top    #1

Tree Fell in the Pool :-(

We had some pretty gnarly storms last week with a couple tornados touching down. As luck would have it, my neighbors tree fell in our pool. Luckly it doesn't look like there's any damage to my NEW liner (still holding water), however there's a Tree in the pool & the water looks terrible. Once the tree is out, do you guys have an idea on what it would cost to get the water back to normal & the smaller debris out? I do not want to deal with the mess this time & am hiring someone to get it back to clear.

Oh, Here's some pictures.
    26,000 Inground Vinyl, 16' x 32'. Pentair Intelliflo SVRS, with 30" Hayward Pro Sand filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Tree Fell in the Pool :-(

Did the pool wall crater in?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

I would not pay someone to clear the pool for you as they will certainly not follow the recommendations found here. Likely they will just throw a boat load of chlorine in the pool once and then you have to hope that they did not just bleach out your new liner. You will always take care of your pool better than someone with no skin in the game.

Good luck.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

You also need to be sure whoever removes the tree is careful not to damage the liner as well. There is enough tree in there that someone dragging out limbs could damage the liner.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp
    Did the pool wall crater in?
    Doesn't look like it, Plus it's still holding water.

Quote Originally Posted by zea3
    You also need to be sure whoever removes the tree is careful not to damage the liner as well. There is enough tree in there that someone dragging out limbs could damage the liner.
    I actually started removing the tree last night myself. I figured I could trust my self more than anyone else to be easy on it. I've just been cutting small sections at a time & it's working out pretty good.

I'm wanting to know the cost to clean for insurance reasons. Either way, I'm having someone come out Tuesday to give me a quote, but I'm just trying to go ahead & figure out the total.
    26,000 Inground Vinyl, 16' x 32'. Pentair Intelliflo SVRS, with 30" Hayward Pro Sand filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

From the pics you posted, can't tell how bad the water really is. If you can still see the bottom, i would put the normal amount of chlorine you use to shock the pool, run it and see. Maybe some more direct pics of the water to see how bad it is?
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

7. Back To Top    #7

I would get the insurance claim filed and clean it up myself. If you can handle the tree you can certainly handle the rest.

Happy everyone is safe!!!!!!
    24X44 IG Vinyl Custom Shaped Pool, Starite S7M400 Cartridge Filter, Starite Sumpermax VS Pump, built July 2015, TF-100 Test Kit, Pentair Intellichlor IC40 SWG, NG Starite SR400 Heater, Easytouch with Screen Logic, Magicstream Laminars, Bullfrog A7 Spa

8. Back To Top    #8

You can get some written estimates from local pool services to submit to the insurance, then clean the pool yourself. Looks like your slide is toast. Any other equipment damaged?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

The water is pretty bad. There's a ton of sediment & leaves on the bottom, along with some large limbs. I spent nearly all day Saturday getting the rest of the tree out of the pool & skimmed the top & some of the bottom. Everything went pretty good, just very time consuming because every single cut had to be thought out & I was doing it alone.

One of my worries is there's a hole in the liner. I haven't lost any water, however, the water has a redish tint, which I assume could be leaching from our GA clay. My gut is telling me it's just caused from the bark & leaves. Hopefully I'm right!
    I have pictures, but will have to load them later. They're too big & I've got a busy morning, so editing them will have to wait.

10. Back To Top    #10

Okay, I finally got around to editing the picture to fit. As expected, It's not holding Chlorine. My good test kit was lost somewhere under the tree that fell, so today I'm going to get a new kit. I used some test strips this morning after adding a ton of chlorine last night & it's hardly reading anything at all.

This picture was taken a few days ago. Now the water is a dark red color.
    Still holding water though!

11. Back To Top    #11

I feel your pain... I hope you have a long swim season.. Hopefully it wont take long to get it clean again. Where are you located? GOOD LUCK!!
    16x32 I.G. Vinyl, Hayward Pro High-Rate Sand S220T, Vari-Flo XL Valve, Hayward Super Pump 1Hp , Great White cleaner, Hayward W530 Leaf Canister, TF100, Pool Skim.

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks WM!
    I'm about 15 miles North of Atlanta.