Restarting pump after complete cleanig if filter

Jun 20, 2013
My brand new pump is a Hayward 1 1/2 HP...Filter is Pentair FNSPlus 60...pool is 12,000 gal...and old...I just finished completely cleaning my filter and put a brand new manifold on it...The filter is empty and pool water is 1/2 way up the skimmer...and light green...What is my first step before turning on the pump? What should I look for after turning on the pump??

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!! :wave:

Since it is a DE filter here is what I do:
-Put the correct amount of DE in a bucket and then fill the bucket up with water ... I mix this up with my arm to make it into a slurry.
-Open the air vent on the top of the filter
-Turn on the pump until water comes out the top of the filter
-Close the air vent and turn off the pump
-Take the bucket to the skimmer, take the lid off the skimmer, stir up the slurry again
-Make sure all suction is from the skimmer if you have suction valves
-Turn on the pump and start to slowly pour the DE into the skimmer

Once you have added all the DE, note the pressure on the filter and that is your "clean" pressure.
When the pressure rises 20-25% over this pressure it is time to backwash and add more DE

Here is more info about DE filters
use-and-care-for-de-filters-t4086.html

Now, since your pool is green. It sounds like you need to start the Shocking Your Pool PROCESS with requires one of the Recommended Test Kits

While you are getting started, Please add your pool details and location as described HERE to your signature as it will help us help you.

So I did all the things I was told to do to restart after cleaning the filter...I put the exact number of pounds of DE as the manufacturer calls for...6 lbs...and the pressure stayed at 10-11 for about an hour...then it crept back up to 20...Now what?

since the pressure doubled, it is past time to backwash and put new DE in.

Green pool + DE filter = many many backwashes. Other threads here have suggested putting the DE filer to recirculate until you have the algae killed and are at the "blue cloud" stage.

Have you been keeping up with your shock process?

Please post your FAS-DPD test kit results, full set of numbers.

The color of the water is aqua with a litte yellow tinge...I can see the bottom of the pool almost clearly...I guess that is the best way to describe it..The spa, which is in between the pump and the pool is perfectly clear...I think much of the problem is the DE that smoked into the pool as the result of a crack in the manifold...which, to my surprise, had been sealed with caulk by my previous pool man...It lightly covered the bottom of the spa and pool along with the algae...So, should I turn off the pump..since it is 10:45 pm here in Austin? I don't think I'll much of a backwasher this time of the night..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes...The pool was shocked today about 2O minutes after the grids were cleaned and soaked, new manifold was put on, the DE was put in and the pump turned on (approx 3:00 pm)....How often should I shock the pool?

I back-washed this morning and put 3 lbs of DE back in the filter via the skimmer...The only thing remaining on the bottom is green/gray sediment--probably DE that flowed into the pool when the filter manifold cracked. I am running the Dolphin now to pick up that dust on the bottom of the pool...The pool water is good but the pressure keeps inching up from the 11..It is now at 12..I have not found that information you mentioned about "shocking" ...

Yes..I did find it and did read it...Thanks...Had water tested...The heat is eating up the shock...I have had 3-3" tablets in the float night and day...There is virtually no green in the water, however...

2 hours after the last shock..I will retest for chlorine level 4 hours after I shocked the pool...Should I add shock now are wait until the test?

Test results @ 3:00 pm (CST) were as follows:

Free available chlorine=low=0
Total chlorine available=low=0
Calcium hardness=OK=200
Cynuric acid=OK=99
Total alkalinity=OK=80
pH=7.6=OK
Copper-OK=0
Iron=OK=0
Total dissolved solids=OK=950

Harley Spoon said:
Yes..I did find it and did read it...Thanks...Had water tested...The heat is eating up the shock...I have had 3-3" tablets in the float night and day...There is virtually no green in the water, however...

2 hours after the last shock..I will retest for chlorine level 4 hours after I shocked the pool...Should I add shock now are wait until the test?

Test results @ 3:00 pm (CST) were as follows:

Free available chlorine=low=0
Total chlorine available=low=0
Calcium hardness=OK=200
Cynuric acid=OK=99
Total alkalinity=OK=80
pH=7.6=OK
Copper-OK=0
Iron=OK=0
Total dissolved solids=OK=950
Them's pool store test results! :grrrr:

You need to maintain very high levels of chlorine - VERY high - since your CYA is well over 100. All day long. Every day. 99 seems to be pool store code for "off the scale." Even if it is only 99, shock level is 25 ppm FC. That's 3½ gallons of 8.25% bleach!! And in a couple hours, you'll need more.

If you want this pool sparkling clean for the rest of the summer, you're going to need to buy your own test kit and start reading and following Pool School.

I am not planning to be a pool addict....I have a real life--and about 300 employees who need my attention in order for them to make a living--that does not revolve around spending 24 hours a day jacking with a pool...I am looking for advice, not a new profession...Make your advice clear and in regular American English...My pool filter quit doing its job...Pool cleaners come once a week...not everyday...I am trying to get the pool back to working like it did for the past 18 years...I have a new pump & new filter innards...and if it gets to the point that I have to close a very good worldwide ranching business just to keep a pool perfect, surely you know whihc way I will go...

Harley Spoon,

Once your pool is in the best condition you have ever seen, it will take only minutes a day to take care of it. Literally.

Most of us here do have the same concerns you do, making a living. We are sympathetic to your needs. All we are trying to do is help you to take care of your pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.