Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Safety Cover

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Safety Cover

Going to be installing a 20 foot by 40 foot free form mountain lake type pool. The pool company wants $4600 for a solid safety cover installed. I am pretty sure I can do it myself for about half or less? Has anyone installed their own mesh or solid safety covers with any tips or ideas? Also where did you purchase the cover? and did you take all the measurements yourself?

Thanks in advance guys and girls...
    24,000 gallon vinyl, 2 main drains, 2 skimmers, 4 returns, 2 inch pipe suction, 1.5 inch return. Pentair VS pump, Pentair IC-40 SWG, Pentair SD-80 filter. TF-100.

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Indiana

Re: Pool Safety Cover

I installed my own. You'll want to invest in a hammer drill and a good bit. I paid $1200 for my mesh cover online. Measured it myself. The installation wasn't all that hard. I stretched ropes across the pool to hold the cover up while I got it laid out to mark the holes.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Central Massachusetts

Good question. I was assuming it would be easy to install myself. Glad to hear you've done just that John.
    26,000 gal 18x36' IG Vinyl Pool - Hayward S244T Sand filter - Hayward Tri-star 2-speed 1.5HP pump - Goldline Aqua Plus SWCG and Controller with Tcell-15 - Aquacomfort 125K BTU Heatpump - Hayward Color Comfort 4.0 LED - Zodiac MX8 suction cleaner - TF100 test kit
    My Build thread

4. Back To Top    #4

Noblesville, IN

I agree, very manageable DIY project. I bought mine at the local PS. I had someone from the company come out and measure because I knew that would be the hardest part. I installed it over a concrete deck with a hammer drill in a couple hours. The hardest part was adjusting the straps to the right length after it was installed....not difficult, just time consuming.
    I like the idea of rope under the cover for installation. I didn't do it so some of my straps aren't perfectly perpendicular to the cover. No one else notices but me.
    32K in ground vinyl pool installed in the early 1990s
    1.5 HP Centurion pump installed in the September of 2012, replaced under warranty in August of 2013
    2.6 SF Hayward sand filter - age unknown but looks pretty new
    Jandy AE-TI heat pump - age unknown but looks new and works great
    Caretaker in-floor cleaning system - works, but not well....on my list of things to work on.
    Aqua-rite SWG - new in about 2006, T-15 cell replaced in summer of 2012