Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Baquacil Conversion...Help!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Baquacil Conversion...Help!!

We bought a house last year with a pool and the previous owners used Baquacil. We just stuck with the Baquacil because that was the first time we had ever dealt with a pool. The water turned hazy and eventually greenish with pink slime. We covered it up and didn't mess with it anymore until now. I started the conversion to chlorine last Friday. I have read through several forums on here and I am thinking I am doing everything right, but my water is still hazy! It went from brown to green to blue, but still hazy. I cannot see but a few inches down. I have been keeping the FC at 15, but it has been back down to around 7-7.5 in the mornings. I did order the Taylor K-2006 before I started. I am on my 40th jug of 121 oz bleach! I was able to test every hour last weekend and add bleach as needed. This week I have returned to work so I can only test and add bleach in the mornings and evenings. Here are my results from yesterday evening:

FC- 1
    CC- 3.0
    Ph- 6.8
    TA- 50
    CH- 150

Added more bleach...

This morning I only tested the FC and CC because that's all I had time for
    FC-7.5
    CC- 2.0

What do I need to do?
    13,500 gal, AG, sand filter(not sure of size or model#), 6-7 years old

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Baquacil Conversion...Help!!

3. Back To Top    #3

You are doing fine. The whole process does take a while. You appear to be solidly into the second phase, FC is holding overnight and CC levels are not too high. So you are making good progress.

The next time FC is below 10 (probably the next time you test the water), adjust the PH up to around the 7.2 to 7.4 range.

Other than that, keep adding chlorine up to an FC of 15, especially in the evenings when you are losing the least chlorine to sunlight. Because you are keeping almost half of your chlorine overnight, you are now losing more chlorine to sunlight than to the conversion during the day. That makes adding chlorine during the day much less efficient. The whole process will be over sooner if you continue adding chlorine during the day, but will be more cost effective if you switch to only adding chlorine in the evenings.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks so much for your reply. The pictures are from the first day up until day 4 and the pool is still looking like the last picture. I was getting worried that maybe I was or was not doing something I needed to be doing. There was so much nasty stuff on the walls and bottom of the pool when I started...I wondered if that was keeping it from clearing up. I have been brushing it as much as I can and I have vacuumed to waste twice during this process, but I can't see if I'm missing anything bc it is so cloudy. I will adjust the ph this evening.

5. Back To Top    #5

Love those pictures!!

Welcome!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Okay guys, I have run into a problem. I've noticed the last couple of times when I have vacuumed to waste that after about 5 minutes a bunch of crud starts coming out of the return. I replaced the sand in my filter a few weeks ago before I planned to convert to chlorine. I noticed some sand in the bottom of the pool. Seems like when I start to vacuum the sand it all comes right back in the pool. What could be causing this?

7. Back To Top    #7

Okay...I'm needing some help! This is day 18 of my conversion and I can't even see 2 inches into the pool! What gives?? I'm reading about everyone else's conversion process and it seems that it doesn't take this long. My water is blue and cloudy as all get out! I'm doing everything right. Is there something else that could be contributing to the cloudiness of my water?? Someone please answer! I'm nearly to the point of ripping that pool down! I am so frustrated.

8. Back To Top    #8

When you add the bleach, what shock number are you aiming for?? Are you testing with a FAS/DPD test??

Can we see current test results??

9. Back To Top    #9

Ps......are there any signs that the users used the Baquacil CDX system??

10. Back To Top    #10

We had the pool last year and never used the cdx. I do have the fas/dpd test. I will test in a bit and post the results.

11. Back To Top    #11

Test the CC reading too.

Often I suggest not testing for CC's as you know there is some if the pools green, but I'd like to rule something out.

12. Back To Top    #12

Will do. I'm fixing to test so I will post results shortly.

13. Back To Top    #13

Test results:
    FC 0
    CC 1
    Ph 6.8
    TA 50
    CH 160

14. Back To Top    #14

You need to add 2.5gallons ( 315oz ) of 8% bleach. How often are you testing and re-dosing during this process? The more you can test/shock the faster this process will go.

edit: Start by raising your PH up to 7.2

15. Back To Top    #15

The first weekend I started, I tested every hour and added bleach accordingly. I work during the week so I am only able to do it in the mornings and evenings. I've been vacuuming to waste and for some reason it is blowing it all back in the pool. I can't figure out why...

16. Back To Top    #16

I'll let somebody else comment on the filter issue. No idea about sand filters.

17. Back To Top    #17

Just did a bit of reading, are you 100% sure it's sand? Could it be dead baquagoo still hanging around some? Sand falls almost right away from the return..... Does the particles make it far in your pool???

18. Back To Top    #18

They don't make it far and there are big piles here and there in the pool. I put a sock over the return to try and catch it the last time I vacuumed and it was sand along with some other nasty, smelly stuff.

19. Back To Top    #19

In the Industry

When you vacuum to waste, the pool water goes through the multiport and out the backwash.....it never gets in the filter so you should see nothing returning to your pool nor be able to feel any flow back to your pool.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

20. Back To Top    #20

That's exactly what I thought. Nothing comes out for the first few minutes. Then when I hit a pile of nasty stuff it goes out the side of the pump but then starts blowing into the pool. I replaced the sand because it wasn't back washing like it should. The pool store said to try and replace the sand. It still didn't really work. Last year it would blow out of the side. This year it barely runs out. It's like something is clogged or something is wrong with the pump. I'm not sure, but it's frustrating.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast