Need help with choosing a pool pump

May 31, 2013
Virginia
Our pump bit the dust. It turns on, makes a grinding noise, and then shuts off again. Does this over and over. For the time being I've just shut it off.

From reading pool school, it says we should only need a 3/4 HP pump, is this correct? The pump that we have now is 1 1/2 HP. We have a 500 lb sand filter if that makes a difference, and just a plain old pool - no spas, no fountains, etc. It's barely 10,000 gallons, concrete, inground. My other question is what should we look at spending for a decent pump? There is such a wide range out there. Thanks!

You can certainly go smaller and would seriously consider a 2-speed.

What pump do you currently have (model)? You may be able to just replace the motor and impeller with a smaller set for cheaper than a whole new pump. Plus then there is no plumbing required.

Is your current pump wired for 115V or 230V?

If you are currently wired for 230V and want a whole new pump, the 1HP Superflo 2-speed is nice for around $400. A new 2-speed motor and impeller only are probably closer to $300 and a new single speed motor and impeller are probably around $200. NOTE: I am only speculating on the motors as it depends on your pump.

Thank you!

It's 230 volts. It says Emerson on the label, but Speck on the pump. It's model # K63CXERP-4781. If we can save some $$ and just replace the motor that would be great as we've already sunk around a grand in other repairs (foreclosure house).

How do I know if I just need a motor and not a pump? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but do pumps come with a motor?

Well when we tend to way "pump" really is the combination of the "wet end" {which is really the pump part} and the motor. If you are hearing grinding, that is likely due to the bearing in the motor going bad.

So your options are:
1. A new 1.5HP motor - use existing impeller - uses the most electricity
2. A new 1.5HP 2-speed motor - use the existing impeller - more expensive to buy, but could save $ on electricity by running on low.
3. A new smaller motor & impeller - likely cheaper than 1 and 3 and will save a little electricy
4. A new smaller 2-speed motor & impeller - more $ than 3, likely cheaper than 2 - save a lot of electricity by running on low most of the time.
5. A new complete pump (either 1 or 2-speed) - most expensive upfront.

With a new 2-speed motor, you will need to wire in a switch to allow you select the speed or add a timer to automatically switch speeds.

FYI, a 2-speed motor on low will move 1/2 the water for 1/4 the power cost.

If you go with a smaller motor, you may need to increase the run time a little over your 1.5HP motor, but should still be cheaper to run. Even if you doubled the runtime on low though, you would still be using 50% less electricity than only running on high.

But, the 2-speed motor is likely at least $100 more than a single speed, so if your power is cheap and you do not need a lot of run time anyway, it may take a few years to recoup the intial higher cost and not be worth it to you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.