Intex Salt Water Generator and Chlorine Free Shock?

Jul 15, 2012
First year with an 18' above ground Intex Ultra Frame. I filled it with well water, and when I shocked it, it turned brown. Metal Out fixed the issue, but I haven't put chlorine back in it since, other than the floating tablet, so the chlorine level is very low or non existent. If I use chlorine free shock, will that still turn it brown due to the iron in my well water? I'd like to get the chlorine back to where it should be so I can then hook up the SWG, but will chlorine free shock work with the SWG?

Chlorine free shock is less effective and more expensive.

It sounds like you have iron in the water. You will need to use Metal Out, or some other sequestrant, regularly as indicated on the packaging, but otherwise you should be fine to add chlorine normally.

porkandbeans said:
Maybe I'm wrong, but if you have put salt in why don't you just start the SWG and start making its own chlorine?

I was told the salt water maintains the chlorine levels but doesn't actually produce chlorine. Supposed to start it after the chlorine levels are where they should be. Am I wrong?

ylomnstr said:
porkandbeans said:
Maybe I'm wrong, but if you have put salt in why don't you just start the SWG and start making its own chlorine?

I was told the salt water maintains the chlorine levels but doesn't actually produce chlorine. Supposed to start it after the chlorine levels are where they should be. Am I wrong?

I am a novice, but this is what I did using my municipal tap water.
Filled the new pool
Checked and corrected TA and ph as needed (chlorine was at nothing)
Added 120 lbs of salt (for 5k gallons I should have used 125 lbs, but oh well for now)
Cycled the filter pump only for 24 hours
Rechecked ph (good) and chlorine still at nothing
Started SWG system running for 6 hours
The next 3 days, both ph and chlorine are at healthy levels

The electro-chemical reaction of the SWG system is designed to create, maintain, and replenish chlorine.

ylomnstr said:
The SWG does create chlorine but it works best at maintaining levels and if there is anything organic in the water it may not ever get to the cl level you need to maintain. It's easier to get to the correct level with bleach and then have the SWG maintain it. The water should measure .5 for CC or lower or you need to shock first.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.