First time pool opening, unknown circumstances.

Jun 20, 2013
Hello,

I am opening a pool for a family friend that has not been open for two years. The pool is 35' by 18' and shallow is 3' deep is 6'. Which I estimate to be roughly 21000 gallons. the shell is plaster and about 25 yesrs old with no visible signs of dammage to the shell. It only has about 1' or less of water in the deep end. From what I can tell the pool has two skimmers and one main drain. I see a sand filter with 1hp pump on it and a booster pump in the setup as well. There is a gas heater in the setup and a tablet chlorinator.

As far as I know the pool was winterized at the close of the last season that it was used. There is some grout the is deteorated around the tile row around the top of the pool. There is some debris cleanup necessary in the pool itself. The 1hp pump needs replacing, which I believe is the reason the pool has not been open in so long.

I am looking for advice for what to do first. Thanks so much in advance for any advice you guys may have.

Hi, welcome to TFP! First go ahead and get all the debris out of the pool, while you order a new pump. It would probably be easier to re-grout the tile while the pool is empty if you plan to do it yourself. Fill the pool up and flush any antifreeze out of the lines, and remove any plugs or stoppers. Open up the sand filter and check for channeling. You can deep clean the sand filter by running a water hose gently into the sand bed at multiple locations to flush and resettle the sand.

Thanks for your reply. I have a couple of questions: one is it ok that the antifreeze mixes in the water, two does the grout not being replaced this season pose a problem, and three if I fill the pool to see if it can still hold water and hold off on buying the pump untill that has been established what would i need to do to the water in the interim once filled?

Thanks again for your help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.