How much CYA will a Frog Bac Pac add?

kmgt

Jun 18, 2013
Here's my situation...

**I don't have a full set of numbers. My reagents are old and I'm waiting on refills.

4 days ago I got new water (new liner). The pool store who installed only suggested I get their opening kit. I knew I needed stabilizer, but I assumed they knew that too and that stabilizer was in the kit. I added the opening stuff and then took my water to another store to be tested (wanted a computerized test, so no user error). They said I obviously needed stabilizer (my CYA was 12) and that also my fill water was extremely acidic, so I needed Alk UP. I bought 30lbs of Alk UP but only put in 10lbs. I retested, I'm at 110 if my reagents are remotely ok.

I "knew" I was getting sucked back into pool store stuff, but am just not confident enough in myself to go BBB.

To wrap this up, I have a frog and I don't want to use it anymore. However, since I need to raise my CYA, I'm using the Bac Pacs to chlorinate and add cya. When cya gets to a good point and or I run out of bac pacs i'll stop and go BBB.

Does anyone know how much CYA an entire bac pac will add.

**They also sold me a canister of stabilizer thats in "pebble" form aka big granuals. I have added some of that. But the directions say to broadcast over the water. I slowly poured some in front of the return and now they are all sitting in the center of my pool on floor. I'll brush when i can get time. I'm going slow because I dealt with very high CYA with my old water and am scared to go there again.

I used my last CYA reagent today and didn't even get a reading. it was still clear as day at the 30 mark :( However, all this stabilizer addition has only happened over the last 4 days. I know it takes time to read CYA added.

Does my plan sound ok?

I used to broadcast the stabilizer just like you did (and what the package says). It would sit on the bottom for weeks. Pool Store kept insisting "when your pool needs it, it will use it". I hated that. I had even tried dissolving it in boiling water first. It wouldn't dissolve.

I read here, and have successfully used, the method of putting it in a sock (with the top tied) and either placing the sock in my skimmer or in front of a return jet. That has worked like a miracle and the stabilizer generally dissolves within 8-12 hours.

I realize it's too late for you since it's already in the pool but keep it in mind for the next time you have to add it.

Thanks :) I only added about 1/4 - 1/2 the container that way, so maybe I'll do the sock method with the rest. I'm afraid to add too much thought knowing my frog is also adding.

In order to tell you how much the bak-pac is adding we need to know the size of the pool and the size of the bac-pak (13 oz IIRC).

For the CYA on the floor just vacuum it to the filter and then don't clean the filter for a few days.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.