Identified leak location..ok to run pump?

Good morning!

I have recently re-filled an old pool & installed some new equipment, with the help of TFP (see older posts). Within 24 hours of fill, we lost a foot of water. The contractors who installed the equipment told us that the leak is "probably" in the light. They identified the problem when the pool was empty, but failed to tell us before we trucked in 24k gallons of water. To put it mildly, I am a *wee* bit angry.

But, here we are. So this is my question. The water line is about 2 inches below the skimmer. We have not run the pump or filter since the leak was detected. We have an automatic cover, so there is very little FC loss and virtually no debris other than the occasional bug in the pool, which I skim off every night. I am worried about how long I can go without running the pump/filter.

I am assuming I cannot run the pump if the water line is below the skimmer....is this correct? Should I fill the pool to the appropriate level and run the pump overnight? We plan on fixing the leak after 7/4. We can spot fill w/ well water if needed, but I would rather not.

Thanks for any help.

M

If you have a main drain and you can close the skimmer off so that the pump only draws from it, you can run the pump like that. If you don't have a main drain, but you have a good vacuum hose you can hook the vacuum up and toss it in the bottom and draw through the vacuum hose. You may have a bit of a problem getting the pump primed but you should be able to.

It all depends on how it's plumbed. If the MD is plumbed into the bottom of the skimmer your diverter will seal off and draw solely from the MD when the water is low. If it's plumbed back to the pad and has a valve you can just close the valve to the skimmer.

Using the vacuum works pretty well, I have done that myself. Keep in mind if the water is below the returns your pH may rise due to aeration. Just keep an eye on the pH and use some MA to drop it back in range when needed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.