Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: estimate percent borates, phosphate algae

1. Back To Top    #1

estimate percent borates, phosphate algae

Hi,

Thanks for the great education btw. I've read the basics about borates (recommended by you all), and phosphate lowering agents (not recommended, mostly due to expense).

It is impossible to be precise, but can one of the experts give me an idea of how effect these are at preventing algae?

Lets assume every now and then I get lazy or let my FC drop. For example, my kids throw a spontaneous party with a dozen friends. FC drops while i'm at work to zero. etc. etc.

Would dropping phosphates to near zero make it 10% less likely i get an outbreak? 50%?

Would borates be similar? 50%?

Can I get a best guess number?

Thanks
    16,000 gallon, inground. Diamond bright finish. Hayward 1.5 hp superpump, quad 80 DE filter, Jandy legacy gas heater

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: estimate percent borates, phosphate algae

Adequate chlorine prevents algae....nothing else substitutes.

If you let your chlorine drop too low with regularity, you are going to get algae and no amount of borates or phosphate remover will prevent it.

Considering their use as a work-around in lieu of chlorine results in losing your focus of what it takes to manage pool water properly....chlorine
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. I imagine lots of people ask, and i don't mean to offend you. In my setting i really don't care about the money, and the effort to use the phosphate lowering product is almost zero---add, backwash anyway, re-add, etc. I'm led to believe there is some benefit, i was just wondering if it could be quantified. If it does almost nothing, i obviousily won't do it. If it reduces the likelihood somewhat (30%+) i would use it. And still try my best to keep the FC levels up etc.
    16,000 gallon, inground. Diamond bright finish. Hayward 1.5 hp superpump, quad 80 DE filter, Jandy legacy gas heater

4. Back To Top    #4

I use borax in my pool but not for algae prevention but for feel and the little extra sparkle it gives to the water nothing, is going to assist you in not getting algae except maintaining the proper amount of fc per your cya....Mike
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm
    leslies DPD test kit + fas-dpd chlorine test kit + borates test strips
    thru wall skimmer,hard plumbed with 2 returns 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc
    1 large fountain 1 inch sch 40 pvc,shut off ball valves on all

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by central nj
    i really don't care about the money, and the effort to use the phosphate lowering product is almost zero
    The level of effort and expense varies wildly depending on the phosphate level of your fill water. If your fill water contains significant phosphate levels, as mine does(2000+), it is nearly impossible to get the phosphate level down to something that would have any effect at all on algae. Phosphate remover can also cause the water to cloud up, sometimes for a short time, sometimes for days or weeks at a time. On the other hand there are situations where the phosphate level is naturally quite low and removing the tiny bit of remaining phosphate is quite easy (and often effective).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School