only website to go to for pool info!

May 16, 2013
Janesville WI
Just want to say thanks to all who post. This was the first website I found when doing research before buying AGP. I found so much information that I applied to my pool build. I look forward to browsing the endless pages of information and especially look forward to all of the picture of everyone's beautiful pools. I completed my build of my Intex 18x48 and the BBB method has been awesome. I have my levels pretty good except for TA and my water has been crystal clear.

C=3
PH= 7.8+
TA = 280!!

So I was looking at the pool calculator and in order to lower my TA I have to lower my Ph to 7.1-7.2 by adding muratic acid. My question is to get to TA of 70-80 how long will that take? I am worried that with such a high TA that it will affect my cells in my SWG? Or am I way off?

Thanks again for all the help and information.

Yup, the value of this forum is immense.
Perhaps you'll consider a paid membership, it's pretty cheap especially compared to the value of info found here, and helps cover the costs of running things.

Welcome and as far as Im concerned you are 100% correct. I love it here, and we are blessed with some outstanding knowledge you won't find elsewhere. I have high TA fill water here, so I know your pain all to well.

So I will just plug in to the calculator that I want to go to 7 for ph and then it will calculate my muratic acid and dump away? This is probably a dumb question by exactly what does aerate the water mean? I know about aerating the lawn:)

Is it true that a high TA will cause scaling on my SWG? Once I get my ph to 7 are we assuming that the TA will come down almost instantly or over time? Then once TA is in line I suppose I am going to have to raise my ph afterwards? Once TA is stable when you raise ph up to optimal level won't TA raise too?

When you add bubbles to the water, you are areating. You can do this by running a waterfall, fountain or breaking the surface of the water by turning the eyeball up. Since you have an intex, I'm going to assume you don't have an eyeball. Lowering pH is necesary to areate because it raises the pH and lowers the TA over time hence the use of MA to lower pH.

No, TA and Ph will both go down fairily quickly when you add the MA. Then you aerate and only the PH will rise to where you want it and TA should stay the same. If TA is still not low enough, just repeat the process. I did this and aerate like crazy with waterfall but PH still has not gone up to where it was before but it is acceptable for swim.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.