Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about OCLT

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about OCLT

Do the OCLT numbers have to coincide with each other that same night? Reason I'm asking is that I've been testing for OCLT the past two nights and both nights I have had CC of .5 or less and FC was a loss of 1 the first night and 2 the second night (or morning rather). Does that mean I passed the test because of the first night or do I keep going?
    The pool has been crystal clear the past 5 days.
    18x52 Above ground pool, approx 7300 gal, vinyl, Hayward sand filter I think, 1 hp Utilitech pump, 1 speed

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question about OCLT

If you lost 2 ppm overnight on any night you haven't passed the test. Hold it at shock level and run it again tonight.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Well if you lost 1 the first night, with a CC of .5 why did you test the second night? Also how much sun was on the pool the second morning when you tested?
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

4. Back To Top    #4

I think I was second guessing myself and I tested the same time every morning before the sun came up. Last night's FC was 15 and was down to 13 this morning. The night before was 14 and went down to 13 and CC for both was .5
    18x52 Above ground pool, approx 7300 gal, vinyl, Hayward sand filter I think, 1 hp Utilitech pump, 1 speed

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by anton
    I think I was second guessing myself and I tested the same time every morning before the sun came up. Last night's FC was 15 and was down to 13 this morning. The night before was 14 and went down to 13 and CC for both was .5
    Okay so you got the timing of the tests correct, perhaps it was testing error the first night. At any rate you failed the test last night, so i can only say keep shocking.

Can you post all of your test results, and how you are testing?
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

6. Back To Top    #6

I always recommend running the OCLT two nights in a row. That way you're sure you passed. It appears that you haven't quite.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Testing with TF-100. CYA at 35 and pH at 7.5 taken before shock process. Haven't done any other tests till I'm done with shocking.

@ Bama Rambler, that's what I think. I was just making sure...

8. Back To Top    #8

Does CC have to be at .5 from here on in after passing OCLT? If it goes up to 1.0, do I go back to shocking?

9. Back To Top    #9

Does CC have to be at .5 from here on in after passing OCLT? If it goes up to 1.0, do I go back to shocking?
    As long as you maintain the minimum FC level after this battle, I doubt you will ever have a problem with CC above .5.

It also depends...if for weeks the pool shows 0 or.5 CC and the day after a big windstorm or a pool party it shows 1 CC, shocking is probably not needed. Just add an extra quart of bleach and let it sort itself out. But if it climbs for no good reason, or you got lax about maintaining FC, you need the shock process but you can probably do it in a day.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

It wasa couple days ago I passed OCLT. I checked this morning and CC was 1.0. Does that mean there's still bad stuff in the pool?

11. Back To Top    #11

It wasa couple days ago I passed OCLT. I checked this morning and CC was 1.0. Does that mean there's still bad stuff in the pool?
    That depends...is there any other reason that there could be a lot of organics in the pool? Windstorm? Rainstorm? Pool Party?

If no, then follow Bama Rambler's advice.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!