Been Running DE filter with low DE in it....sigh

Sep 5, 2012
My goodness, so far I stink at this! I hope saving a couple of hundred dollars to do this myself doesn't cost me in the long run!

Question first: After running the filter for 2 hours with no DE, then for 18 hours (not straight, over 2 days) with 7.5 qts instead of 10 qts, do I just add the additional 2.5 qts in the morning, or do I need to break the thing down again, and start over........

How I ended up with the question:
So after I originally cleaned the grid and reassembled, I added 5 scoops of DE to the skimmer. But now I realize that that is what the PB told me to do after a backwash. They never said what to do after I cleaned the filter. I looked on the bag which said for the Jandy 48 to add 10 qts. Not knowing what the scoop was the PB provided me with I filled it up with water. 6 cups. Which I believe is 1.5 quarts. So 5 scoops at 1.5 qts it seems I only added 7.5 qts to the filter. So per the bag I'm short 2.5 qts. Back to the question, after running the filter for 2 hours with no DE, then for 18 hours with 7.5 qts instead of 10 qts, do I just add the additional 2.5 qts in the morning, or do I need to break the thing down again, and start over........

Sorry for the math equation, thanks for yall's expertise.

Don't stress so much, you aren't running a nuclear reactor, it's just a swimming pool. Just add the missing DE and move on. You may want to do your next breakdown cleaning a bit sooner than you would have, but it should all be fine.

DE is relatively cheap. Why not take the filter apart, spray of the grids, put it back together and add the perfect amount of DE, then you can chill the rest of the summer and know it's right. That's what i would do but I try to be a perfectionist but continually fail, LOL.

I dumped in the DE this morning, thanks!

I guess its like with your first born, when the pacifier drops on a dirty floor you wonder if you need to sterilize it or get a fresh one. Second born, you just stick it back in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.