Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Been Running DE filter with low DE in it....sigh

1. Back To Top    #1

Been Running DE filter with low DE in it....sigh

My goodness, so far I stink at this! I hope saving a couple of hundred dollars to do this myself doesn't cost me in the long run!

Question first: After running the filter for 2 hours with no DE, then for 18 hours (not straight, over 2 days) with 7.5 qts instead of 10 qts, do I just add the additional 2.5 qts in the morning, or do I need to break the thing down again, and start over........

How I ended up with the question:
    So after I originally cleaned the grid and reassembled, I added 5 scoops of DE to the skimmer. But now I realize that that is what the PB told me to do after a backwash. They never said what to do after I cleaned the filter. I looked on the bag which said for the Jandy 48 to add 10 qts. Not knowing what the scoop was the PB provided me with I filled it up with water. 6 cups. Which I believe is 1.5 quarts. So 5 scoops at 1.5 qts it seems I only added 7.5 qts to the filter. So per the bag I'm short 2.5 qts. Back to the question, after running the filter for 2 hours with no DE, then for 18 hours with 7.5 qts instead of 10 qts, do I just add the additional 2.5 qts in the morning, or do I need to break the thing down again, and start over........

Sorry for the math equation, thanks for yall's expertise.
    15x32 16k Gal IG riversand (pebblesheen) pool, Filter: Jandy 48 sq ft DE filter, Circulation Pump: Stealth Pump 2 hp 2 speed, SWCG, Heater Size and Electronic Ignition: Jandy LRZ400 Natural Heater, Cleaning System: Polaris 280, Spa: 8 Jets, 1 fountain, Polaris 220V 1.5HP QT blower

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Been Running DE filter with low DE in it....sigh

Don't stress so much, you aren't running a nuclear reactor, it's just a swimming pool. Just add the missing DE and move on. You may want to do your next breakdown cleaning a bit sooner than you would have, but it should all be fine.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Well great.....then what am I going to do with all this uranium I bought off of craigslist.

Oh well, thanks!
    15x32 16k Gal IG riversand (pebblesheen) pool, Filter: Jandy 48 sq ft DE filter, Circulation Pump: Stealth Pump 2 hp 2 speed, SWCG, Heater Size and Electronic Ignition: Jandy LRZ400 Natural Heater, Cleaning System: Polaris 280, Spa: 8 Jets, 1 fountain, Polaris 220V 1.5HP QT blower

4. Back To Top    #4

DE is relatively cheap. Why not take the filter apart, spray of the grids, put it back together and add the perfect amount of DE, then you can chill the rest of the summer and know it's right. That's what i would do but I try to be a perfectionist but continually fail, LOL.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm with Chief, I'd just dump 2½ qts in there and go swimming! Don't sweat the petty stuff!
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

I dumped in the DE this morning, thanks!

I guess its like with your first born, when the pacifier drops on a dirty floor you wonder if you need to sterilize it or get a fresh one. Second born, you just stick it back in.