Rate my Design. Changes or suggestions?

Jun 13, 2013
Lot is not deep at all, but is wide enough to give us options. Also not sure where to put the pool equipment. Likely inside the Cabana.

The little rectangles by the pool are stepping stones on natural turf. The cabana, dining and seating area will be finished with paving stones.

Also not sold on the Lilacs for privacy. worried the flower petals will make a mess of the pool. Would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks.

Attachments

• Vivaldi RS Site Plan - LOT 34.jpg
    Vivaldi RS Site Plan - LOT 34.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 358
Will you be maintaining the landscaping in the backyard? Will there be grass in the area where the wood deck and stepping thingys will be? That will get old trimming grass around the stepping areas, edging, blowing etc.

Will your outdoor living space be covered? Outdoor furniture?

Why are the lilacs only by the pool? is there a wall there on that property line? What can you see, or more importantly what can other people see? How tall of a screen do you need to stop that?

What type and how tall will that retaining wall be?

Do you have any before pictures?

Do you have children/grandchildren or other kids that will use the pool? How old?

What kind of climate? Do you winterize pools there?

Where are your doors on the house and cabana? I'm guessing a patio door near where it says "Breakfast Area".

I see a problem brushing the left side of the pool. There's no deck on that side, so it will be 15' away, plus the depth, plus a little extra for the handle, so you'll be muscling things from 20' away.

Where is all the pool equipment going to be stashed? If it's inside the cabana, you're looking at 60' pipe runs to the far end.

And no matter what else you do....make sure the skimmer is at the extreme downwind end.

Thanks for the comments, very helpful. I'll try to address each question to add more clarity.

Yes, the stepping stones area will be natural grass. I don't mind the little bit of extra work as I do not want to cover the entire yard with pavers.

Outdoor living space will not be covered. The table and chairs area will be. Was considering instead of a gazebo, purchasing a large patio umbrella that can pivot and swing to cover either area. Is this possible? I think I've seen them.

The lilacs are placed to provide a screen from my rear neighbors. The homes are literally 30' from that tree line. Ideally, the trees need to be 20-25'. The other areas aren't as neccessary because the dining area would be covered with either a perogola, or a large umbrella as mentioned.

The retaining wall is needed as I have a drainage swale. It's not very big. It will start at about 4-6 inches tall by the pool area and probably around 2' high by the cabana area. Will likely be a poured concrete wall with a stone veneer. Haven't decided.

Have checked for setbacks with city already. I'm OK. But will definitely double check again once I hire a contractor.

I currently have one child. 4 months old. Access via sliding door by the 'breakfast area'. Cabana door position likely on the north, or east side. Also haven't decided.

As for left side of pool. There isn't much I can do with pool placement. As per our by-laws The pool cant extend to the 'side' of the house. But you make a very good point. Will see if I can add another 2-3 feet at least on that side.

Pool equipment... also racking my brains on this one. Ideally would like it in a small structure so the cabana would be great, but would have to deal with long runs. Having it on the other side of the yard would mean a shorter run, but the need for another structure, which I would rather avoid.

Skimmer... good point. Thanks.

Those lilacs will drop flowers and leaves into the pool constantly. Not sure where you are, but here in Va we have thunderstorms and rain weekly. After every rain, I have to skim leaves and other debris out of the pool, and our trees are at least 5 feet from the pool. Can you put up a privacy fence instead?

Sorry, should have mentioned I live in Toronto, Canada. So will need to winterize the pool as well.

We have a 6' pressure treated fence, but the homes behind us are 2 stories and aside from the fence there isn't the much in the way of privacy from neighbors. I'd add a photo but I'm out of town for the time being.

Will look at other options instead of the Lilacs. Thanks for sharing.

It's nice to have a little heat for getting some extra use out of the area when the pool is closed. Also nice to have when getting out of the pool late in the season when it starts to cool off in the evenings.

Kids track water and love pool toys. A bathroom and changing area along with toy and equipment storage is very nice, especially compared to toys all over the yard and wet trails through the house.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How good of a visual will you be able to have from the house to the pool? I know your little one isn't going to ever be outside alone for years, but eventually if you stay there, you will have a kid old enough to want to be in the yard and pool without parents. When I was house shopping I passed on a couple of houses that had pools because there was no good line of sight from the house.

I have grass and trees near my pool (I didn't want to cover the pool area in anything that absorbed heat and we need the trees for shade). The grass isn't bad at all (within 3 foot of the water) but the trees are more work. Still, I wouldn't have it any other way.

There's good line of sight from the 'breakfast area' sliding door as well as the kitchen window.

Changing area is definitely something we'd like to incorporate, and a bathroom would definitely be a 'nice to have' feature, but not sure how I'd make it work in my space.

Still wondering about tree substitutes. Looking for something that grows approx 20-25' and preferably narrrow. Cedars are my fallback option.

Trollcifer said:
There's good line of sight from the 'breakfast area' sliding door as well as the kitchen window.

Changing area is definitely something we'd like to incorporate, and a bathroom would definitely be a 'nice to have' feature, but not sure how I'd make it work in my space.

Still wondering about tree substitutes. Looking for something that grows approx 20-25' and preferably narrrow. Cedars are my fallback option.

Switching to "smart alec mode", choose trees that make good firewood so you get some good out of them when you cut them down after the leaves drive you crazy! :-D

Plants that don't seem very messy in normal circumstances can be a real pain when they are near a pool. My wife loves garden phlox. I used to not even know what it was, but in a few months I have learned to despise it. I think the blooms climb off the plant, crawl to the pool and jump in! :shock:

I would seriously consider a wall, vertical panels or a fence of some kind with landscaping at the base. Leaves are going to fall above the retaining wall and then pile into the pool if you put in anything that drops leaves or blooms during the swimming season. Actually, with your pool so close to the retaining wall, a trellis/screen/wall would be really cool there, and if there are trees west of your property it could be your best friend when it comes to catching leaves and keeping them out of the pool.

Not trying to tell you how to do it, just how I would do it so feel free to ignore me at will. My retaining wall steps up to the pool, which has made a big difference in leaves in the pool since we finished it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.