Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pump motor w/1.65 SF replaced with one w/1.25 SF?

1. Back To Top    #1

pump motor w/1.65 SF replaced with one w/1.25 SF?

I know that when you buy a replacement pump motor, it should be replaced with one that has the same SF (service factor)...BUT what happens if a motor w/a 1.65 SF was replaced with a motor with only a 1.25 SF anyway?....

Thanks to questions that were answered here, I knew exactly what type of replacement motor that I needed...AO Smith SQ1102...SF 1.65, 1.0 full-rated Hp, etc. Unfortunately, I listened to my pool store owner. He sold me a different motor assuring me over and over again (ask my husband...even he was getting embarrassed with all my questions as to the motor's SF, Hp, full-ratedness) that this motor "would work" with my pump. It's working but when I actually looked at the motor after it was running (I was really in a hurry), I noticed that it has a SF of 1.25, not 1.65. I'm thinking that I need to take this one back and get one with a SF of 1.65. It's for a Dura-glas II pump model #P4R6E-187L.

Thanks again for any input!
    40,000 gal IG w/vinyl liner, 300 sq ft cartridge filter, Dura-Glas II pump w/1 hp motor, Heat Siphon heat pump, IntelliChlor swg, Paramount Floor Cleaning System, Automatic Pool Cover

2. Back To Top    #2

lnmnmns,

Can you post the full information shown on the motor nameplate? It sounds like the pool store may have sold you the wrong motor, but we can't be sure without full nameplate data from both motors to compare.

I have a good background in motors, but I have to tell you that the pool industry has really REALLY messed up things with their strange Service Factor numbers and their even stranger Full vs Max rated nonsense. Even I am confused by the ratings on pool motors. JasonLion, however, seems to be fully up to speed on pool motors.

Titanium
    24,000 gallon inground freeform pool/spa circa 1983 (113 ft perimeter, 625 sq ft) with 350 gallon attached spill-over spa
    2007 2 HP, three-phase Hayward TriStar pump which is powered by an Ikeric VS-200 variable speed drive system
    1983 Laars XE Pool/Spa Heater Type ES 400,000 BTU, 1998 Hayward Super Star-Clear C-4000 cartridge filter (400 sq ft, 4 separate cartridges)
    1998 Polaris 380 pressure-side cleaner w/ 3/4 HP booster pump
    One skimmer :( and one PoolSkim :), One Supervision Galaxy LED pool lamp, Second story solar panels
    Hayward/GoldLine AquaLogic PS4 (replaced 1983 vintage dual circuit Intermatic timer)

3. Back To Top    #3

Okay...the label information is as follows:

Century Centurion - AO Smith
    Cat B853 Part 7-177215-04 Type CX
    Hp 1.0 SF 1.25 PH 1
    Hz 60 RPM 3450 Volts 230/115 (we use 230)
    Amps SF 7.1/14.2
    Time cont Encl DP Form KJM
    Code J
    1081 Pool Pump Duty

Thanks Titanium!
    40,000 gal IG w/vinyl liner, 300 sq ft cartridge filter, Dura-Glas II pump w/1 hp motor, Heat Siphon heat pump, IntelliChlor swg, Paramount Floor Cleaning System, Automatic Pool Cover

4. Back To Top    #4
    What about the old motor label?

Another option would be to get an impeller to match the motor you have now. The current one is probably overloading the motor by 30% or so. Does the motor run very hot? If not, then perhaps the motor can handle the extra load. If it is running real hot, then you might need to change the impeller as well.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5
    If your old motor was a .75 hp with a 1.65 service factor then the brake HP is .75 x 1.65 = 1.24 brake hp.
    The new motor is 1 x 1.25 = 1.25 brake hp.
    If this is the case it is the right motor.
    If your old motor was NOT a .75 hp motor then it's not the right motor.

The DuraGlass II P4R6E-187L is a full rated 1 hp pump so you do NOT have the right motor. You have a 3/4 hp motor for the uprated 1 hp P4R6E-186L (and the full rated .75 hp P4E6D-186L). I would change it. The pool store guy sold you the wrong motor! You can tell him that another pool store guy caught his error. (My guess is that he didn't have the correct motor in stock and didn't want to lose the sale.)

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you! That's what I think, too. It's going back....too bad the impeller is such a pain to get off!