Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can anybody explain this?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can anybody explain this?

Recently got my SWG back online after 1.5 year issues.

I've been adjusting the % cell on to try to keep my FC in target range, it's down to 20% - has been running just a tad high so I've been backing down slowly.

What I'm finding is my FC level is staying very level both in the AM before sun up and in PM after sun off water (I'm currently testing every AM and every PM). I figured I would see higher readings in the morning and lower readings after a sunny day - but it's actually been very stable at both test points. I'm not really complaining I just don't get why it doesn't go down during the day. We have had full sun 85-100 degree days most of the last 7 days.

The reason I'm asking is b/c I run my pump 23.5 hours/day and I'm so on top of my pool b/c of this website now I'm thinking of shutting the pump down at night - since my ONCL test is 0 I should only have to produce chlorine while the sun is on the water - and the day is when we'll be swimming so skimmers can clear off the floaters in daytime - and I save on electric bill - DO other SWG owners see the same thing?
    25,000 gal in-ground gunite with spa and waterfall, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWG, Jandy CL580 cartridge filter, Raypak gas heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can anybody explain this?

Since you are running nearly 24 hours a day, you will see a very stable FC level. I run 6 hrs at 50% and I don't get much of a swing as it is. SWGs chlorinate differently than manual dosing and tend to be more stable. I think you would find that less run time at a higher setting will be just fine....and save you money.

Do you have a full set of test results? I'm curious what your CYA is.
    15'x30' IG - Roman-style - 14K - Pebble Fina Classico
    Filter: Jandy CL460 Pump: Jandy Stealth SHPF1.5 SWG: Jandy AquaPure 1400 Cleaner: Jandy RayVac Test Kit: TF-100 w/SpeedStir

Chlorine/CYA Chart----Extended Test Kit Directions----SLAM

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

I run my pump about 8 hrs a day and my water is crystal clear. Unless you have a multispeed pump running at a very slow speed, you are wasting a lot. Cut the time and turn up the %.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Yeah, thanks guys - that's what I'm planning (after I get back from vacation).

Full numbers:

FC 6
    pH 7.5
    TA 100
    CYA 50
    CH 450
    Salt 3300

I am bringing my CYA up - my SWG was on the blink so I was holding it at 40 for a while and just using bleach - now that the SWG is up and running again I'm bringing the CYA up to about 60-70 - have been going slow b/c wanted to make sure the SWG didn't go down again ANd I'm about to go on vacation. Just added some yesterday - should be about 60 but going to wait until tonight to check it.
    25,000 gal in-ground gunite with spa and waterfall, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWG, Jandy CL580 cartridge filter, Raypak gas heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Rossko,

Bring your CYA up slowly so you don't overshoot your target. Also, your CH looks a little high. You don't want scaling, especially with a SWCG. I have Jandy equipment and the recommended CH is 175-400 according to Jandy. I run mine on the low end of that range. It took a while for me to dial in my SWCG. I have a single speed pump and I currently run mine at 40% for 10 hours a day. During the winter I ran it at 10% for 4 hours a day.

Good luck.

Dave
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

6. Back To Top    #6

Yeah no choice on the calcium hardness - it's my fill water so I can't dilute it down. Not even sure how to get "reverse osmosis" done on my pool.