test results

lgdods

May 10, 2013
This is my first year of TFP. I bought the tf100 test kit. Have an 18x33 ABP. Have not gotten it clear for the past 3 weeks. Tried using just bleach but switched to trichlor as I don't have enough time to add gallons of bleach. I can't seem to get my free chlorine up no matter how much I shock it with shock bags or bleach. Here is my results from tests tonight: FC=.5; TA=40; CYA>100; PH=6.8; Total Chlorine=.5; calcium=220. What can I do to raise my pH and TA? Please let me know what I can do as I'm about ready to go to a pool store. :cry:

Your problem is your CYA is too high. You have to replace enough water to get down in the 30-50ppm range and then you will be able the clear the pool up. Do the CYA test again with a 50/50 mix of pool and tap water and then double the reading to get an idea just how high you are.

And now the pucks are adding more CYA and driving the pH and TA down.

Bleach works ... you have to stop the pucks ... and what "bag or powder" are you using?

I don't have a good way to remove/add water. I will remove the pucks. Shouldn't I raise the ph and TA? I still don't understand that before I had no CYA; I added in 4 lbs at a time; waited a week in between until I finally got it to 70-80 range. I did use the hth super shock: I put in 6 bags at once. Still couldn't get the FC to come up to 10 as you recommend. I can't seem to get it above 1. I've been using the 121 FL oz (1gal) of bleach from walmart; they say conc 8.50%. What is a normal amount of this type of bleach that I should have to add daily once water is balanced? I am getting tired of buying and lugging these jugs around. Can I buy a bucket of chlorine tabs from sams club? How do I tell if they will add cya? I thought I read somewhere on this forum that this brand, which is pool source I think, was okay to use. I do have an inline chlorinator that doesn't work very well and I run the pump 24/7 and put some pucks into the skimmer as long as pump is running all the time. I also have a floating puck also.

lgdods said:
I don't have a good way to remove/add water. I will remove the pucks. Shouldn't I raise the ph and TA? I still don't understand that before I had no CYA; I added in 4 lbs at a time; waited a week in between until I finally got it to 70-80 range. I did use the hth super shock: I put in 6 bags at once. Still couldn't get the FC to come up to 10 as you recommend. I can't seem to get it above 1. I've been using the 121 FL oz (1gal) of bleach from walmart; they say conc 8.50%. What is a normal amount of this type of bleach that I should have to add daily once water is balanced? I am getting tired of buying and lugging these jugs around. Can I buy a bucket of chlorine tabs from sams club? How do I tell if they will add cya? I thought I read somewhere on this forum that this brand, which is pool source I think, was okay to use. I do have an inline chlorinator that doesn't work very well and I run the pump 24/7 and put some pucks into the skimmer as long as pump is running all the time. I also have a floating puck also.
As the saying goes, when you're already in a hole, stop shovelling!

To add chlorine, you either add it plain (bleach), with CYA (dichlor or trichlor), Calcium (Cal-hypo) or Lithium (megaexpensive). There's no way around it. The jugs, while a PITA, are the best all around source. Now that you've jacked the CYA so high, you'll need even more of the heavy bleach to clear it.

The easiest solution is a partial drain - and almost everyone has a garden hose they can use as a siphon. CYA won't hurt the lawn.

With a well-maintained pool of your size, expect to need between 1/2 and 3/4 of a jug of Chlorox per day.

Answers in red:
lgdods said:
I don't have a good way to remove/add water. I will remove the pucks. Shouldn't I raise the ph and TA? Yes. Use soda ash or borax I still don't understand that before I had no CYA When did you have 0ppm?; I added in 4 lbs at a time; waited a week in between until I finally got it to 70-80 range. Why so high? Recommended levels are 30-50ppm for non-SWG pools I did use the hth super shock: I put in 6 bags at once. That is cal-hypo and adds calcium and may cloud the water Still couldn't get the FC to come up to 10 as you recommend. I can't seem to get it above 1. I've been using the 121 FL oz (1gal) of bleach from walmart; they say conc 8.50%. Then you needed to use more bleach as something was consuming it What is a normal amount of this type of bleach that I should have to add daily once water is balanced? 2-3ppm per day which is about 22 oz of 8.25% per day ... AFTER the pool is cleared up I am getting tired of buying and lugging these jugs around. Can I buy a bucket of chlorine tabs from sams club? How do I tell if they will add cya? No. They ALL add CYA I thought I read somewhere on this forum that this brand, which is pool source I think, was okay to use. Not on this forum I do have an inline chlorinator that doesn't work very well and I run the pump 24/7 and put some pucks into the skimmer as long as pump is running all the time. I also have a floating puck also. Don't put pucks in skimmer, ever. And do not put them in the chlorinator or the floater unless your CYA level is reasonable and you are on vacation

You pool is small enough you may want to consider draining it and starting over and actually follow the recommended methods describe here and in Pool School

jblizzle said:
Answers in red:
lgdods said:
I don't have a good way to remove/add water. I will remove the pucks. Shouldn't I raise the ph and TA? Yes. Use soda ash or borax I still don't understand that before I had no CYA When did you have 0ppm?; I added in 4 lbs at a time; waited a week in between until I finally got it to 70-80 range. Why so high? Recommended levels are 30-50ppm for non-SWG pools I did use the hth super shock: I put in 6 bags at once. That is cal-hypo and adds calcium and may cloud the water Still couldn't get the FC to come up to 10 as you recommend. I can't seem to get it above 1. I've been using the 121 FL oz (1gal) of bleach from walmart; they say conc 8.50%. Then you needed to use more bleach as something was consuming it What is a normal amount of this type of bleach that I should have to add daily once water is balanced? 2-3ppm per day which is about 22 oz of 8.25% per day ... AFTER the pool is cleared up I am getting tired of buying and lugging these jugs around. Can I buy a bucket of chlorine tabs from sams club? How do I tell if they will add cya? No. They ALL add CYA I thought I read somewhere on this forum that this brand, which is pool source I think, was okay to use. Not on this forum I do have an inline chlorinator that doesn't work very well and I run the pump 24/7 and put some pucks into the skimmer as long as pump is running all the time. I also have a floating puck also. Don't put pucks in skimmer, ever. And do not put them in the chlorinator or the floater unless your CYA level is reasonable and you are on vacation

You pool is small enough you may want to consider draining it and starting over and actually follow the recommended methods describe here and in Pool School
I read it as 18 x 33 oval, and probably 4 feet deep! If it's a little intex thing, the bleach load is nothing to lug.

Perhaps lgdods would like to clarify it for us? pool-school/read_before_you_post

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.