Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: test results

  1. Back To Top    #1

    test results

    This is my first year of TFP. I bought the tf100 test kit. Have an 18x33 ABP. Have not gotten it clear for the past 3 weeks. Tried using just bleach but switched to trichlor as I don't have enough time to add gallons of bleach. I can't seem to get my free chlorine up no matter how much I shock it with shock bags or bleach. Here is my results from tests tonight: FC=.5; TA=40; CYA>100; PH=6.8; Total Chlorine=.5; calcium=220. What can I do to raise my pH and TA? Please let me know what I can do as I'm about ready to go to a pool store.
    24' round above ground pool. 15,200 gallons. Hayward Pro Series sand filter and Hayward 1hp Powerflow Matrix pump. Upstate New York

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad jblizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    37,389

    Re: test results

    Your problem is your CYA is too high. You have to replace enough water to get down in the 30-50ppm range and then you will be able the clear the pool up. Do the CYA test again with a 50/50 mix of pool and tap water and then double the reading to get an idea just how high you are.

    And now the pucks are adding more CYA and driving the pH and TA down.

    Bleach works ... you have to stop the pucks ... and what "bag or powder" are you using?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Re: test results

    I don't have a good way to remove/add water. I will remove the pucks. Shouldn't I raise the ph and TA? I still don't understand that before I had no CYA; I added in 4 lbs at a time; waited a week in between until I finally got it to 70-80 range. I did use the hth super shock: I put in 6 bags at once. Still couldn't get the FC to come up to 10 as you recommend. I can't seem to get it above 1. I've been using the 121 FL oz (1gal) of bleach from walmart; they say conc 8.50%. What is a normal amount of this type of bleach that I should have to add daily once water is balanced? I am getting tired of buying and lugging these jugs around. Can I buy a bucket of chlorine tabs from sams club? How do I tell if they will add cya? I thought I read somewhere on this forum that this brand, which is pool source I think, was okay to use. I do have an inline chlorinator that doesn't work very well and I run the pump 24/7 and put some pucks into the skimmer as long as pump is running all the time. I also have a floating puck also.
    24' round above ground pool. 15,200 gallons. Hayward Pro Series sand filter and Hayward 1hp Powerflow Matrix pump. Upstate New York

  4. Back To Top    #4
    Richard320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)
    Posts
    18,768

    Re: test results

    Quote Originally Posted by lgdods
    I don't have a good way to remove/add water. I will remove the pucks. Shouldn't I raise the ph and TA? I still don't understand that before I had no CYA; I added in 4 lbs at a time; waited a week in between until I finally got it to 70-80 range. I did use the hth super shock: I put in 6 bags at once. Still couldn't get the FC to come up to 10 as you recommend. I can't seem to get it above 1. I've been using the 121 FL oz (1gal) of bleach from walmart; they say conc 8.50%. What is a normal amount of this type of bleach that I should have to add daily once water is balanced? I am getting tired of buying and lugging these jugs around. Can I buy a bucket of chlorine tabs from sams club? How do I tell if they will add cya? I thought I read somewhere on this forum that this brand, which is pool source I think, was okay to use. I do have an inline chlorinator that doesn't work very well and I run the pump 24/7 and put some pucks into the skimmer as long as pump is running all the time. I also have a floating puck also.
    As the saying goes, when you're already in a hole, stop shovelling!

    To add chlorine, you either add it plain (bleach), with CYA (dichlor or trichlor), Calcium (Cal-hypo) or Lithium (megaexpensive). There's no way around it. The jugs, while a PITA, are the best all around source. Now that you've jacked the CYA so high, you'll need even more of the heavy bleach to clear it.

    The easiest solution is a partial drain - and almost everyone has a garden hose they can use as a siphon. CYA won't hurt the lawn.

    With a well-maintained pool of your size, expect to need between 1/2 and 3/4 of a jug of Chlorox per day.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

  5. Back To Top    #5
    Mod Squad jblizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    37,389

    Re: test results

    Answers in red:
    Quote Originally Posted by lgdods
    I don't have a good way to remove/add water. I will remove the pucks. Shouldn't I raise the ph and TA? Yes. Use soda ash or borax I still don't understand that before I had no CYA When did you have 0ppm?; I added in 4 lbs at a time; waited a week in between until I finally got it to 70-80 range. Why so high? Recommended levels are 30-50ppm for non-SWG pools I did use the hth super shock: I put in 6 bags at once. That is cal-hypo and adds calcium and may cloud the water Still couldn't get the FC to come up to 10 as you recommend. I can't seem to get it above 1. I've been using the 121 FL oz (1gal) of bleach from walmart; they say conc 8.50%. Then you needed to use more bleach as something was consuming it What is a normal amount of this type of bleach that I should have to add daily once water is balanced? 2-3ppm per day which is about 22 oz of 8.25% per day ... AFTER the pool is cleared up I am getting tired of buying and lugging these jugs around. Can I buy a bucket of chlorine tabs from sams club? How do I tell if they will add cya? No. They ALL add CYA I thought I read somewhere on this forum that this brand, which is pool source I think, was okay to use. Not on this forum I do have an inline chlorinator that doesn't work very well and I run the pump 24/7 and put some pucks into the skimmer as long as pump is running all the time. I also have a floating puck also. Don't put pucks in skimmer, ever. And do not put them in the chlorinator or the floater unless your CYA level is reasonable and you are on vacation
    You pool is small enough you may want to consider draining it and starting over and actually follow the recommended methods describe here and in Pool School
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

  6. Back To Top    #6
    Richard320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)
    Posts
    18,768

    Re: test results

    Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Answers in red:
    Quote Originally Posted by lgdods
    I don't have a good way to remove/add water. I will remove the pucks. Shouldn't I raise the ph and TA? Yes. Use soda ash or borax I still don't understand that before I had no CYA When did you have 0ppm?; I added in 4 lbs at a time; waited a week in between until I finally got it to 70-80 range. Why so high? Recommended levels are 30-50ppm for non-SWG pools I did use the hth super shock: I put in 6 bags at once. That is cal-hypo and adds calcium and may cloud the water Still couldn't get the FC to come up to 10 as you recommend. I can't seem to get it above 1. I've been using the 121 FL oz (1gal) of bleach from walmart; they say conc 8.50%. Then you needed to use more bleach as something was consuming it What is a normal amount of this type of bleach that I should have to add daily once water is balanced? 2-3ppm per day which is about 22 oz of 8.25% per day ... AFTER the pool is cleared up I am getting tired of buying and lugging these jugs around. Can I buy a bucket of chlorine tabs from sams club? How do I tell if they will add cya? No. They ALL add CYA I thought I read somewhere on this forum that this brand, which is pool source I think, was okay to use. Not on this forum I do have an inline chlorinator that doesn't work very well and I run the pump 24/7 and put some pucks into the skimmer as long as pump is running all the time. I also have a floating puck also. Don't put pucks in skimmer, ever. And do not put them in the chlorinator or the floater unless your CYA level is reasonable and you are on vacation
    You pool is small enough you may want to consider draining it and starting over and actually follow the recommended methods describe here and in Pool School
    I read it as 18 x 33 oval, and probably 4 feet deep! If it's a little intex thing, the bleach load is nothing to lug.

    Perhaps lgdods would like to clarify it for us? pool-school/read_before_you_post
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

  7. Back To Top    #7
    Mod Squad jblizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    37,389

    Re: test results

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Perhaps lgdods would like to clarify it for us? pool-school/read_before_you_post
    That would be a good idea I put it around 5k gallons and you put it around 15k ... we need good data!!!
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •