Need help after being "Pool-Stored"

:-D Well, you guys have done in 4 days what the pool store couldn't do in 3 months. My pool water is clear and just passed the overnight chlorine loss test. FC was 14 last night at 9:00pm and 13.5 this morning at 6:00am. CC=0 at both tests.

Many thanks! I appreciate all the help here. :cheers:

Now, to keep it that way with BBB...

Dave

Final Test Results:

I checked everything again today around noon, and got the following results:

FC 9.5
CC 0
pH 7.4
TA 80
CH 140
CYA <30 (The dot is pretty much totally occluded when K2006 tube is completely full, so I'm guessing 20 or so.)

To me, everything looks pretty good except the chlorine seems to be coming down pretty fast (from 13.5 at 6 AM to 9.5 at Noon) but I guess this is from the low stabilizer level and the pool getting direct sunlight all day. I'm going on vacation in a week, so I started using tabs in the chlorinator today, which should get the CYA up some. According to the pool calculator, each 8 oz. tab will raise my CYA by 1, so I want to keep an eye on things this week to see how many tabs I will be using the week I'm gone. If I see it using too many this week I can turn the chlorinator down and supplement with bleach this week, then turn it back up next week when I'm gone. I sure don't want to let the CYA get high again after draining 2/3 of my pool to get rid of it.

Since each tab will also lower my pH by 0.09, should I raise it to the top of the range with borax before I leave for the week, or let it get low and fix it when I get back?

Also, would it be worthwhile to check the CYA before I go, or will it have had time to all show up? I plan on checking it when I get back.

As soon as I do get back, it's strictly BBB for me! :-D

Dave

Will do, Thanks Jason.

Just went for the first swim of the season. It was great. Wife said she don't think the water has ever looked this good in the 12 or 13 years we've owned the pool. I agree. :whoot:

Dave

Re: Need help after being

Smykowski said:
DaveNC said:
As soon as I do get back, it's strictly BBB for me! :-D
Dude, based on that post above, you're already 100% on BBB. It's not about WHAT you use in your pool, it's the philosophy of UNDERSTANDING your pool and what you put in it. I think you're already there. Good work!
Ain't that the truth, that's as BBB a post as you can get!

jblizzle said:
See how the pH behaves this week before you raise it. It may end up being close to stable.

The pH is dropping every day. It's down to no more than 7.0 (lowest my K-2006 measures). I'm guessing this is due to me using tabs in the feeder this week, trying to get it dialed in for my vacation next week.

So it looks like I need about 10 lbs of 20 Mule Team borax to raise it to around 7.6.

Here are the full results this evening:

FC 7 (Down 4.5 ppm from 11.5 yesterday evening - Seems like it's using a lot of chlorine. Tab feeder is set on "2" (of 5) and has went through about 5-6 tabs in two days. I had it on "1.5" Monday and FC dropped 6.5ppm in about 24 hours. The pool is in full sun all day, and I know stabilizer started out somewhere below 30 until today.)

CC 0

pH 7.0 (Down from 7.2 yesterday & 7.4 Sunday- I assume from the tabs?)

TA 50-60 (Tested twice, not sure if the 12th drop really changed color or not-seems like a small change is taking place. Down from 80 on Sunday - is this due to the Trichlor tabs?)

CH 160 (Up from 140 on Sunday - why? Is this just margin of error in the testing?)

CYA 30-35 (I did this test several times. I think the dot is obscured at around 35, but I'm sure it is at 30. Sunday it was below 30)

My plan is to raise the pH to at least 7.6 with borax, raise the TA to 80+ with baking soda, and keep using the tabs this week, and maybe next week while we are gone. Still not sure, though if it's going to use that many tabs, I'm afraid the CYA will be too high when we get back.

Does that sound like a plan?

Thanks,

Dave

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The reason I'm using tabs now is to try to get my auto feeder set to not let the chlorine drop too low over the week we're gone, but also not let the CYA get too high. I'm using bleach to supplement the tabs when the chlorine gets low this week. I hope to have it set by by when we leave at the end of the week to where it will not lose more than a ppm or two per day with the chlorinator & tabs so I can take it to shock level with bleach the morning we leave and have it not get below the minimum FC level by the time we get back. Once I get back, it's strictly bleach.

I also checked the pool calculator "effects of adding chemicals" section and see that each box of borax will raise my TA about 1 ppm and I need about 10 pounds now and will need more after another week on Trichlor, so I'm not going to add any baking soda until after I re-adjust the pH when I get back. I'm learning! :)

Thanks,

Dave

spidey07 said:
you could raise your TA to 100 to deal with the pucks. They will drive down pH. I use pucks and have to keep my TA at 120 and still raise my pH after a few weeks. It all depends on where my TA is.

Thanks. I guess I'll see what happens this week and decide where to go from there.

Dave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.