Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Foam for Intex

1. Back To Top    #1

Foam for Intex

Hello again.
    I'm thinking of buying an Intex pool. Our 24' round doughboy was destroyed in a tornado. We had it 20+ years :>( ... I am getting older and not sure that I want to put in another semi permanent ABG. So.... I am thinking of an Intex pool. Which one? the ring or frame type. Do you have to take both of them down each season? We live in IL. There are outdoor cats. Do I need to worry about them poking holes?
    I'm reading that I should have foam underneath. What type am I looking for at Lowes?
    Yes, to the separate forum for the Intex BTW.
    Thanks folks.
    Hayward sand filter 40 gpm

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Foam for Intex

Metal frame would be easier for you.
    As for the cats, I have the 20 x 48 Ultra Frame Intex.
    2nd year and I love it. I have one cat that loved the cover of it.
    So I clip her claws (probably against her will though) and
    she sits on the pool steps and watches.
    The carpet that goes under the hardwood floors is what we bought,
    taped the seems and added two tarps;. and brick pavers under the legs,

Good luck!!
    20 x 48 Intex Ultra Frame
    Sand filter with SWG attached.
    Deck added on (05/18/2013)
    Thinking about adding more deck
    Pool steps added in - (got rid of that crappy ladder that came with Intex pool) 05/18/2013.

"A little bit of paradise in our yard"

3. Back To Top    #3

I just bought 3/4 inch 4x8 sheets of Styrofoam from my local lumber yard and Duct tape them together. I used 8 sheets with my 16ft pool. I didn't bother with the tarp. I am glad I went with the Styrofoam, it keeps the pool from getting cool from the ground and the cushioning is perfect. Just cut excess foam off around the edge of the pool and support the legs with wood or whatever you choose. That's what I did and it works great!
    41x25x18 Humpback Haven
    Graduated from 16ft Intex

4. Back To Top    #4

Battle Creek, MI

I have 1/4" pink stuff meant as underlayment for siding. It comes in a 4-foot-wide, 50-foot-long fanfold, which made for a bit less taping. Not sure if you'll find it at Lowe's though. They sell GreenGuard brand. And I have an Ultra Frame Intex, which I plan to leave standing year-round in SW Michigan.
    18'x4' AG Intex Ultra Frame, 6,700 gal., assembled new 2013; Mods: Hayward EC50C90 Perflex filter & 1 h.p. PowerFlo Matrix pump, Fiber Clear cellulose D.E. substitute, Hayward H100ID1 100,000 BTU NG heater, a pair of 2'x20' Sungrabber solar heaters via the original Intex 635T pump, grey Hydro Tools through-the-wall skimmer, Confer steps/ladder system & Cover Free chemical pool cover. The Summer of Mods!