Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: lstewaMN

1. Back To Top    #1

lstewaMN

Just opened a new 20' diameter INTEX pool. Had water delivered due to high metals in our city water. Just trying to learn what I need to do to manage the water chemistry. I love this site so far but am a bit overwhelmed at all the information here.
    8.5K gal, AG, Krystal Clear Sand 14" model #SF15110; flow rate 1600 gal/hr, June 2013

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: lstewaMN

Welcome to TFP!!!

Best way to start learning is through reading Pool School (button at the upper right of the page).

Have you order one of the Recommended Test Kits yet? That is the key to understanding and maintaining your pool.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Since you have a real need to "keep that water you bought" focus on getting your FC (Chlorine) levels correct and then work on your other levels (ph, TA, CYA). The green monster is what you want to avoid and CL will keep it away. Bleach/chlorine is your friend. If you have water, you need bleach.

While it sounds extravagant, the recommended test kit will save you tons of time and money in the long wrong... and toms of heart ache in the short and long runs. It really does cost less than most trips to the pool store.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

I did buy the test kit from Taylor that was recommended. It came today. TA was super high 210, but PH was 6.8' FC was 8.5 and CYA was below 20 meaning the dot never went away just got a bit cloudy. Just trying to read a bit more to see what to do next to adjust the PH without raising the TA even more.
    8.5K gal, AG, Krystal Clear Sand 14" model #SF15110; flow rate 1600 gal/hr, June 2013

5. Back To Top    #5

Sounds like you making good progress and learning the ropes.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to TFP!

I would suggest reading all Pool School articles, but would start with these: ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry, Basic Pool Care Schedule, Recommended Pool Chemicals, How to Chlorinate Your Pool, Chlorine CYA Chart, The Shock Process. This will give you a good baseline and make the remaining articles easier to understand.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks. Looks like aerating is what I need to lower the TA without continuing to lower the PH. Sadly my free aerators (AKA my kids) refuse to get into the pool yet and splash! Still a little too cold since the water was delivered at quite a chilly temp.

8. Back To Top    #8

To be clear, aerating does not lower the TA, it raises the pH ... which then allows you to add more acid to lower both.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Thank you for the clarification. We just got a lot of rain last night so I'll test again today and see how to proceed.

10. Back To Top    #10

Welcome to TFP! Enjoy Pool School!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter