Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Searching for answers very new to pools.

1. Back To Top    #1

Searching for answers very new to pools.

Finally gave in to the wife and kids and bought a pool. Honestly I'm dreading it, but talk on here makes it seem not so bad. Lots of ?'s and unknowns for me. The pool is an AGP Intex Ultra Frame 18'x48" round. It will be setup on a 24'x24' cement patio with a 1.5" drop over 24' so fairly flat. I will use some panaflex on the concrete to protect the pool liner.

Guessing I need to test it right after filling it or wait a few hours. It will be filled with tap eater from a garden hose. At what point do I add the first round of chemicals?

FYI for anyone else buying a pool at WalMart don't forget to check online prices and site to store shipping. The pool was $699 marked down to $450 in store, but online it was $349. Si I bought it online and picked the store I was in fir pickup, waited a few minutes for my confirmation emails then pickd it up right there. Several of the pools were $70 to $120 cheaper that way

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Searching for answers very new to pools.

Welcome to the forum.
    At what point do I add the first round of chemicals?
    You must test your water first to see what you need to add, if anything.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!!!

Although with a new fill you certainly will need stabilizer and chlorine. Read Pool School to see what the recommended levels are and compare them to your test results (you order one of the Recommended Test Kits yet?). You can then use poolcalulator.com to calculate how much of each chemical you need to acheive the desired target.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I bought the 6 way test kit at WalMart. I know it's not the best and the T100 is recommended but wasn't ready to invest more $ yet and it would take a bit for it to come in.

5. Back To Top    #5

Or the K-2006 ... without one of those, you will really be kind of guessing at the FC levels. As long as you maintain adequate FC and the pool stays clear, you might be ok, but as soon as something does downhill, the better test kit is a requirement.

A small investment now would make it easier to avoid those issues in the future.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Where do you live, and is it cheap and easy for you to fill pool and the. Later dump and replace water again?
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

7. Back To Top    #7

[center:1rzua2hl][/center:1rzua2hl]
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

$34 to fill it. I'm reading pool school stuff as I go.