Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DE in sand filter

1. Back To Top    #1

DE in sand filter

I've always added a cup of DE to my sand filter to get the sparkly water, once i add it my water pressure drops a small bit from the return and i usually have to backwash every 2-3 weeks. I plan on adding a solar heater to the pool with about a 12 rise where the panel will be, i'm worried that will DE being put into the filter that i won't have enough pressure to make it effective. If i only add 1/2 or 1/4 cup of DE, is that still better then no DE or am i wasting my time? Just want to make sure i have enough water flow to hit the panel and come back.
    Currently a big sand box with no pool, 18"x54 on order
    Hayward EC40 filter with Hayward 1HP pump, Wanda the Whale
    SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DE in sand filter

You should not need DE in the filter regularly at all. That little bit of flow reduction (honestly it should not be noticeable, so maybe you are using too much DE anyways) should not be a go/no go problem with the solar.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I'll cut it down to a 1/2 cup and see what the water pressure is. Easy solution is just get a DE filter which I'd like to do soon

Should have the heater installed by next weekend. Any tips for mounting 1 on a roof?
    SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

Have you tried not using DE? 99+% of members with sand filters do not use DE ... maybe occasionally if they have a clouding problem.

Depends on the brand of panels and the type of roof ... best I can advise is follow the instructions.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Without DE I get enough water flow to spin the solar cover. I just like the extra sparkle I get from using the DE. May just switch to using it before parties and picnics. Last year my buddy commented that I had the clearest shiniest water he's ever seen
    SWG

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

If you can physically detect a reduction in your flow when you add DE, you are using w-a-a-ay too much.

You should only get a 1 psi rise on your pressure gauge and not detect ANY loss of flow.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Maybe I'm adding it wrong. I add 1/4 cup to water and dissolve and add slowly yo the skimmer. Water 10 minutes and continue the routine. Am I doing it wrong?
    SWG

8. Back To Top    #8

How much does the pressure rise when you are adding the DE?
    You started saying you are adding a cup, now you are saying you add a 1/4 cup? Or is that a 1/4 cup at a time?
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

1/4 cup at a time. I get 1 psi raise after a cup but maybe my gauge is bad. Its 1 of those hard to read pieces of **** on the intex filter
    SWG

10. Back To Top    #10

May have found my problem. I took the filter apart last night and the plastic mesh under the valve was clogged to h&%l and back twice. Cleaned it up and added 1/4 cup of eartg and no reduction at all. Gonna add another 1/4 cup tonight and see what happens. The solar heater will be here next week. I remember last year it took about 3/4 to a full cup to get the 1 psi rise and it would take 3-4 weeks for a backwash.
    SWG