Help! SWG and chemical levels all wrong

Jun 19, 2013
I have an intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System & Filter Pump Model CS8111

I am having problems knowing what to put into my pool because my results seem to be all over the board. I got a salt water pool so that I didn't have to add a bunch of chemicals but it seems you need to even though that is one of the selling features of a salt water pool. Could anyone help me get these chemical levels straightened out with the least amount of chemicals?

Right now I am using the Aqua Chem test strips for a salt water pool because that is all I could find at the store.

Total Hardness 250
Total Chlorine 0 - very low
Free Chlorine 0 - very low
PH 8.0
Total Alkalinity I got a blue and that wasn't on the chart
Stabilizer 0 - very low

My water is very clear but we really haven't gotten to swim too much yet. It might just be that I need to run my SWG more. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Very difficult to tell with the strips. Your chlorine may be high and bleaching the strip, which might account for the blue in the TA test.

Ignore pH and TA for the short term. You need Stabilizer/CYA to whatever level your SWCG manufacturer recommends, and you need an accurate chlorine reading. Without chlorine, your pool is going to get away from you quickly. Try testing a 50/50 mixture of tap water and pool water just to see what you have.

As I recall the Intex instructions were for like 20 or 30 CYA... Which was waaaay too low for me to keep my pool algae free. I'm in Texas and I couldn't keep up with the chlorine demand until I was above 50.. All the SWG does is make it so you don't have to add chlorine under normal circumstances, all other maintenance and chemicals are still needed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.