Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Insulating Water Temperature Sensor

1. Back To Top    #1

Insulating Water Temperature Sensor

For the last two years I have had my pool, it has really frustrated me that the water temperature (that decides if the heater should run) was very inaccurate. If the sun is out, it could be 5-10F different then what either the sensor in the Heat Pump thinks the water is, the sensor in the salt cell, or the temperature in an old fashion thermometer in the water.

The pool company says that the one I think is off is the most accurate and the rest are not very accurate. So, my pool says it is 87F right now, the heat pump says it is 80. The thermometer says 81, so I think that is probably the most accurate. That is a huge difference!

Anyways, I read the manual on my equipment and it says the temperature sensor should be installed with insulation around it (and 3Ē of the pipe) and painted white. I plan on bugging my pool builder (but it has been 2.5 years since they built the pool), but if they are no help, any suggestions for what I can use? Some link to something on amazon would be best (for insulating). I canít paint white if necessary, but would be nice if I donít have to.

Thanks!
    26k gal IG, Gunite Baha Sand River Rok (pebble), Hayward DE6020 Filter (120GPM), Hayward NorthStar 2HP (dual speed) pump, Hayward H400FDP 400kBTU heater, Aqua Comfort Heat pump, Pro Logic Automation and Chlorination (SWG), Polaris 3900 (we call him Fred, he likes to get stuck in the corner of our stairs). Watch our pool being built http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S61tQm2fp08

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Insulating Water Temperature Sensor

Interesting, never considered the possibility that my temp sensor could be affected by sunlight heating up the pipes surface.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

3. Back To Top    #3

I just installed one too and saw that in the manual ... I have never seen one of the sensors actually insulated though.

I think the easiest would be to just buy a piece of the split pipe insulation. Put it over the sensor with a few zip ties and see if that helps ... maybe paint it too.

I may give it a go as well.
    This is the stuff I was thinking if can find it large enough:

I see this is an option, although no sure about the fiberglass:

Maybe instead of painting white, just wrap it with aluminum tape or this insulated tape:
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I have never seen or heard of insulating the sensor and I live in FL where it's pretty darn hot these days. What system so you have?
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

5. Back To Top    #5

Hayward Pro Logic
    Here is the manual (or a similar one):

http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals ... oOct08.pdf

"4. For maximum temperature accuracy, cover the sensor and 3Ē(6cm) of pipe on either side with insulation and white paint."
    26k gal IG, Gunite Baha Sand River Rok (pebble), Hayward DE6020 Filter (120GPM), Hayward NorthStar 2HP (dual speed) pump, Hayward H400FDP 400kBTU heater, Aqua Comfort Heat pump, Pro Logic Automation and Chlorination (SWG), Polaris 3900 (we call him Fred, he likes to get stuck in the corner of our stairs). Watch our pool being built http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S61tQm2fp08

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Hmm, I've never seen it done.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

7. Back To Top    #7

Mine is the same way. Early in the morning it reads dead perfect. If the afternoon is reads 5-10 high and the air temp reads 30-40 high. I just placed something over the sensor to block the sun.
    20' x 38' x 40' Lagoon, 38K Gal, Vinyl, Aqua Plus control, SuperFlow 2 hp pump, 3.7 sqft sand filter, T-15 SWG
    2 ColorLogic 4.0 LED lights, Polaris 280, TF-100 test kit, Finished in September 2012
    Master Spas Twilight 8.2

8. Back To Top    #8

Hmm maybe I'll add this to the lists of too try out, I need an in the pool therm for comparison purposes, mine broke. Seems logical if equiptment in sunny location.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

I find my water temp readings are within a degree or so of my thermometer in the pool (SWG readings a different matter). This is true as long as water is moving in the pipe. When the pump stops it rises faster than the pool.

The sensor is inside the pipe and if water is flowing it will read the temperature of the water not the surface temperature of the pipe. If the water is not flowing, the standing water in the pipe starts heating up, and the readings reflect that. The temperature of standing water in a pipe are never going to tell you the temperature in the pool.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Mine is just like chiefwej's. If the pump has been running for more than a few seconds the temperature sensor reads perfectly, sun or no sun.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

The sensor Hayward uses is black and is installed by drilling a hole in the pipe and then securing with a hose clamp. The sun heats up the black outer portion and makes the sensor read high. I just re-plumbed my pump pad and plan to locate the new sensor under the pipe so the sun won't affect it as much.
    20' x 38' x 40' Lagoon, 38K Gal, Vinyl, Aqua Plus control, SuperFlow 2 hp pump, 3.7 sqft sand filter, T-15 SWG
    2 ColorLogic 4.0 LED lights, Polaris 280, TF-100 test kit, Finished in September 2012
    Master Spas Twilight 8.2

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Prof100
    The sensor Hayward uses is black and is installed by drilling a hole in the pipe and then securing with a hose clamp. The sun heats up the black outer portion and makes the sensor read high. I just re-plumbed my pump pad and plan to locate the new sensor under the pipe so the sun won't affect it as much.
    That's the same sensor I have, but after installation it was wrapped with electrical tape then painted the same light tan color as the rest of my plumbing. We have some pretty hot sun here in Tucson, but it reads within a degree of my floating digital thermometer as long as the pump is running. I did have a problem but that was solved with a new sensor.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

13. Back To Top    #13

Ok, so I purchased http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FP ... UTF8&psc=1 from amazon. It has made a huge difference. The temperature difference between the different sensors is now about 0-2F.