Does this seem odd?

Aug 22, 2009
I had a HLS issue on my brand new Mastertemp. Pentair replaced the thermal regulator under warranty and the repairman left the old one with me and said it looked worn. The heater was installed exactly 3 weeks ago...how could the reg look worn yet? I have attached a picture...any thoughts? I tested my water (I have a pool guy maintaining it) and the ALK is at 40, pH is at 8.2 - it has been a full week since he has been here (he comes today to re-balance and clean) but do those numbers seem off enough to cause the super fast wearing of the regulator? Should I be concerned about something else?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
David

Attachments

• IMG_2932.JPG
    IMG_2932.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_2936.JPG
    IMG_2936.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_2930.JPG
    IMG_2930.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 113
Well you TA is certainly too low and your pH is too high ... whether that would cause the problem with the regulator, I have no idea ... although I know I would not be happy with that water quality ... thus part of the reason I took over my pool.

Hi Jason,

Yeah, I had that discussion with my pool guy today and told him that those needed to be improved. I will be doing my own tests for a while to make sure he gets things under control.

I just can't imagine that the regulator would show that much wear over a 3 week period...but I could be wrong!

Thanks,
David

If those numbers have been like that for three weeks since getting the heater installed it is very possible that it could have caused this issue. Water chemistry can be very aggressive on metals/equipment. Doesn't you pool guy leave you any type of paper work showing his test numbers and to also show that he was at your house? Numbers this bad tells me your pool guy hasn't been doing his job very well and possibly it's been like this for a while. You just noticed it because of the heater issue.

I would now be concerned that the copper heat exchanger might have taken on some wear from the bad chemistry. However, there is no way of knowing this and it's not worth tearing the unit a part to check it plus you might not see any external signs of damage. Very surprising also that the warranty guy didn't try to get you on not maintaining your water correctly and consider the damaged part to be your problem and not cover it.

I would think about a new pool person.

Thank you, Paul. No, my pool guy doesn't leave any paperwork. I know that he has been there, but he doesn't leave anything. I spoke with him today and told him that I am not happy with the numbers and that things need to show improvement. He has only been working with me since the pool was replastered, so I am willing to give him another shot, but only if I see a marked improvement. If not, I will look for someone else.

How worried should I be about the heat exchanger? Should I consider taking it apart, or just leave it as-is and just make sure that future water is better maintained? The warranty guy didn't say anything about the water other than to say I should check the chemistry because the regulator looked worn. I'm thankful he didn't put the fault on me!!!

BUT, I do have some spots and streaks in my plaster...I posted pictures in another thread, but I will post the picture here - might that be related to the ALK and PH?

Thanks for the help!!

Attachments

• IMG_001.jpg
    IMG_001.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 88
Could be a stain as a result of throwing some chemical in the pool and it settling on the plaster ... again, why not just do your own testings and chemistry? At least then you will know what is going on in the pool.

Anything that can be done to fix that? Or will that be a permanent stain?

I had been doing my own, but really don't have the time to clean the pool...I wanted to get someone in to brush/vacuum, etc.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.