Help-losing my pool

Jun 18, 2013
I have an I/G, vinyl, salt water (pentair), 30,000 gallon pool, sand filter runs 24/7.
We left the house last Saturday morning everything checked out good. Our area received .07 or 7/100 of rain Saturday night. We got back Monday and the pool was cloudy. We dumped 2 gallons of Acid in it. Tues pool was cloudier. Dumped 25lb of Natures Way super shock Tues night. Today, just as cloudy. Dumped another 25lbs of Natures Way 10hrs ago. No change. If I dump anymore shock it will eat up the liner.
any suggestions what is going on and what could of caused this. Temp in the water is 81. Sunny and temps between 75-84 the last week.
thanks
jim

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!! :wave:

Why did you dump acid in the pool for being cloudy? What was your pH and your TA?
How do you know the "shock" {we do not use that word as a noun} will eat the liner?

We do not advocate randomly adding chemicals. ALWAYS test the water and then adjust as needed.

I suggest reading Pool School (button at the upper right of the page) and posting up a full set of test results:
Please add your pool details and location as described HERE to your signature as it will help us help you.

My wild guess is that your CYA is too high and your FC is too low and you have algae starting and will need to follow the Shocking Your Pool PROCESS

The store that put in the pool advised to add more shock this morning=that is why the second bucket was added.
Here is what is on their printout from this afternoon
temp 81
CYA 0
Free chlorine .6
ph 7.6
total alk 111
adju alk 111
total hardness 294

If those are correct (99.9% of the members here would not make that assumption), then your problem is a lack of stabilizer (CYA) which lets the sun break down the FC in a matter of hours.

The power chlorine you keep adding is raising your calcium levels which are in range now (although technically with a vinyl pool you do not need any CH). You need to add some CYA and start using liquid chlorine (bleach).

And order a test kit :whip:

That "Shock" powder was Cal-hypo, which is probably why the pool clouded up. Well, that and the algae that was blooming.

I wouldn't trust those test results too much, but you can't afford to wait for a decent kit, either. You need some stabilizer and some chlorine in that water NOW.

I especially distrust the CYA reading. Have you ever used any other "shock" products or chlorine tablets? That's important to know.

Beyond that...if those readings are correct, you need to add about 7 lbs of stabilizer and about 4½ gallons of Chlorox, just to get started on the shock process. You will need more bleach for sure.

Don't just rush out and buy the stuff and dump it in the pool. Spend a few minutes reading in Pool School so you understand what you're doing. And order or buy a decent test kit. You will need it. You need it now, but very few pool stores stock the kit you need.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.