Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New plaster, starting to notice streaks and spots

1. Back To Top    #1

New plaster, starting to notice streaks and spots

Hi all,

We have a pool that was re-plastered (white plaster) in April with a very reputible pool company. They did the start up and since, my PB has been maintaining it. The other day, I noticed brighter white spots and streaks, mostly in the shallow end, but there might be a few deeper...just harder to see. They feel fairly smooth - not a perceptoble difference in texture, if any. But, they are fairly bright white, so they are noticible.

I did a water test today, and the pH is 8.3, Adj Alk is 40...but it has also been a week since the PB was here last...he comes today to rebalance.

My question is, what could cause brighter white spots in white plaster? Anything I should do? Or might this be a plaster warranty issue?

I have attached a picture. I messed with the brightness and contrast since it was hard to see the spots...so don't worry about the color. I drew a box around the area of concern.

Thank you!
    -David
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New plaster, starting to notice streaks and spots

Be sure to notify and document this issue with the PB. It may get worse over time.
    What is size of white discoloration?
    Try lightly sanding a small area for about 10 seconds with 100 grit wet&dry sandpaper and see if the white disappears.
    Is this white plaster with upgrade quartz aggregate or normal limestone/marble aggregate?

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: New plaster, starting to notice streaks and spots

The area is about a foot tall and a foot wide (just guessing without standing in front of it)

I believe this is just a normal limestone marble aggregate

I will try sanding it this weekend and see what happens.

Thank you!
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine