Pump run time

May 24, 2013
South Florida
I apologize in advance b/c I'm a newbie. I love the helpful info in your Pool School section - I've read it and continue to reread and return to it.

How long do you recommend running my pump? The pool guy recommended 8 hours/day here in the summer. Does that sound like too much? Keep in mind I'm in sunny/hot/humid (this part of the year) Florida.

Any recommendations? Is it better to run the pump longer with the SWG at a lower percentage or vice versa?

My vitals:
  • 15K gallon pool, screened[/*:m:26cjbdp7]
  • SWG (Hayward SwimPure/AquaRite 40K cell)[/*:m:26cjbdp7]
  • Hayward pump (older) and brand new Hayward C-900 filter system[/*:m:26cjbdp7]
  • South Florida[/*:m:26cjbdp7]

Thanks!

There is a pool school article for that:

pool-school/pump_run_time

But in general, most pools don't need more than a 3-4 hours of run time but you may need more for the SWG. And no, it doesn't matter if you run a shorter pump time at a higher SWG % except of course if the SWG is at 100% and you don't have enough chlorine, then you will have to run the pump longer.

Thanks. I see you recommend to start at 4 hours.

Should I run the pump for X hours straight each day? Or, is it better to run it for a few hours, wait, then run it again (in order to spread it out over the day)?

I heard it's best to run the pump while the sun is shining and affecting the chemicals. True?

doglover78 said:
Should I run the pump for X hours straight each day? Or, is it better to run it for a few hours, wait, then run it again (in order to spread it out over the day)?
Since debris drops in the pool 24/7, split run time can be more efficient at removing floating debris before it sinks.

doglover78 said:
I heard it's best to run the pump while the sun is shining and affecting the chemicals. True?
Only if your CYA levels are too low. With a SWG, you should have a CYA level of 80 ppm which helps maintain FC levels during sunlight hours. So if you have cheaper energy at night, then by all means run at night. Just make sure the FC level is carrying over to the evening right before the pump run time and adjust the SWG output accordingly.

My pool is screened so the only debris I get are tiny bugs (still obnoxious). My electric rate does not fluctuate by time of day.

But you're saying splitting the run time may be a good idea because that'll spread out the cleaning time in order to more effectively grab debris? Makes sense. So, instead of 8 hours at once (10am-6pm right now) I could do 4 hours during the day and 4 in the evening.

A CYA of 80 will protect my chlorine level even though I have a SWG, in direct Florida sun, and even if the pump doesn't run during the middle of the day? Wow, I didn't know that.

For me, only 4 hours per day but I run in one set for solar. Your pool is smaller than mine so you could probably easily get away with 4 hours too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.