Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to pool chemistry! Need some help

1. Back To Top    #1

New to pool chemistry! Need some help

Hello all....I live in the northeast and have had my gunite pool for 3 seasons... I have a intellichlor salt generator and was told it was maintenance free...well reading these boards I have come to find out it is not true....I took the advice and invested in a Taylor chem kit....I have been having issues with a small amount of algae growth around the pool swim out in the grout lines...so I have tested my water and here are the results.

Pool temp is 70 degrees
    Roughly 18000 gallons.
    I have the intellichlor set to 100% output
    My pool also has a spa that attached to the pool and overflows
    Cya test: basically this test revealed extremely low cya as the black dot never disappeared upon testing so it less than 30
    Ph: 7.9
    TA: 140 ppm
    Free chlorine; 7.4 ppm
    Calcium hardness: 250 ppm

How does it make sense that my cya is so low yet my free chlorine is so high....what are my next steps to balancing this water? Please help! Thanks so much

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New to pool chemistry! Need some help

What size cell on the swg do you have?

The first step is to lower the pH and then get some CYA in there.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I have an IC40 cell

4. Back To Top    #4

Let me know what I should get cuz after I get some help here I will go to the pool store to get chemicals....any suggestions? Should I use the supplied calculator?

5. Back To Top    #5

You should use the Pool Calc to figure the doses. I'd shoot for about 50 ppm CYA.

An IC-40 cell on a 18,000 gallon pool running at 100%? There's no wonder that the FC is so high.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    You should use the Pool Calc to figure the doses. I'd shoot for about 50 ppm CYA.

An IC-40 cell on a 18,000 gallon pool running at 100%? There's no wonder that the FC is so high.
    I'm extremely po'd at the pool company for never telling me about adding stabilizer all the said was to change the output....what % out put would you suggest once stabilized....

This board is great btw...I'm learning tons!

7. Back To Top    #7

The percentage is going to depend on the FC level, but I'd start at about 50% and test and adjust from there.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator