Test kit not here yet and opening new pool today. Help!

Iwilk

Jun 18, 2013
Louisville, KY
We just installed a 21 ft Doughboy. The pump and sand filter will probably be hooked up today. I originally planned on using weekly shock, chlorinating tabs and so on but then I found this message board. Change of plans! The only test kit I have is the Four in One from Watsons. I am ordering the TF-100. Will the test kit I have be okay to get me started until the TF-100 arrives? I have no idea what the water is going to read. Obviously I will be adding Bleach but I'm worried about the readings for everything else. I love that I'm starting right off using the BBB method and I don't want to screw it up right off the bat because I don't have a good test kit.

Thanks in advance! :wave:

Did you fill it with chlorinated water?
Does the water have metals in it?
How long has it been filled?

Once you get the pump running.
The first thing to do it test the pH and adjust it if needed.
Then add about 2 ppm of chlorine to it. Do that each day until you get some CYA in it.

Once you have the FC in there, get enough CYA to get to about 50 and add half of it in front of a running return in a sock.

The pool was filled with tap water and it has Chloramine in it.
Does all tap water have metal in it? I have no idea. I should know this right? lol
We filled the pool halfway 3 days ago. I finished filling it up last night.

Okay, so I test the pH first and adjust up or down if needed.
Second, I add the chlorine.
Then, once I have the FC I need to add CYA until that reads 50, but only add 1/2 what I need at first.

Is this right? I'm sure once I start the process everything will click with me more. I'm a hands on learner. lol

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.