Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: If CYA is 40, optimal FC level is 4 - what rate will it fall

1. Back To Top    #1

If CYA is 40, optimal FC level is 4 - what rate will it fall

If CYA is 40, optimal FC level is 4 -

What rate should the FC level fall by in 24 hours that is in an acceptable level of decline?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: If CYA is 40, optimal FC level is 4 - what rate will it

Depends on the level of sun intensity. Why?

Although 4ppm is not optimal, it is the MINIMUM the FC should ever be.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I was reading the CYA/FC chart, and it says minimum is 3, target is 5, so that is where i got 4 from
    should by FC really be 5 if my CYA is 40?

PS: on recommended levels page it says my CYA for plaster pool to be 30-50 .. if thats true then my FC should be 5/6 at optimal?
    PPS: I am using dichlor to achieve CYA level, since they haven't got a **** clue in Serbia or Hungary what a stabilizer is... (NOTE: They dont even have test kits which can measure CYA, CH, CC, ALK - so i had to order the taylor k2006 from the USA)

4. Back To Top    #4

As noted in the Chlorine / CYA Chart, the minimum FC is 3 ppm when the CYA is 40 ppm. That would be the lowest level just before you added more chlorine. This post shows some typical average loss though it really depends a lot on the amount of sunlight. With 40 ppm CYA, you might lose around half your FC over the day so since you want the minimum to be 3 ppm, you'd have to add chlorine to get to 6 ppm. If you find that your loss is in fact this high, you might consider having a higher CYA level such as 60 ppm. At 60 ppm the minimum FC is 5 ppm but the loss may be only 30-35% so you'd have to raise your FC to around 7.5 ppm so you'd only lose 2.5 ppm FC per day instead of 3 ppm FC per day if you were at 40 ppm. At 80 ppm, the minimum FC is 6 ppm but the loss may only be 22% so you'd raise your FC to around 8 ppm so would only lose 2 ppm FC per day, but having the CYA at 80 ppm is risky if anything goes wrong since the shock FC level is rather high.

You should experiment and see your actual loss rate and just add enough chlorine so that you don't go below the minimum.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks, the pool is in sunlight all day long, from the minute the sun rises until sunset due to how its positioned on our property.
    I will experiment

6. Back To Top    #6

Sorry I recalled the chart incorrectly about the 3 vs 4 being the minimum. Although chem geek has you covered.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

I hope this is not a hijack of the OP, but I think it is very similar question...

I am estimating my CYA around 30 or so in my Fiberglass Pool. For some reason I am freaked about run away CYA, so I am being very careful before I rise the level.
    I am in sun nearly all day, but OHIO sun not TEXAS sun...I have been tracking my usage pretty tightly.

I go from a level of 4 FC to about 2.5 consistently every day.

If I understand Chem Geeks detailed chart mentioned above, it is true that I would be better off increasing my CYA to say 50 ?
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

8. Back To Top    #8

Probably ... try 40ppm and see what happens ... although a 1.5ppm loss per day is on the low side already.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Yeah, you are already at a rather low loss rate. Though increasing the CYA and FC proportionately may lower that somewhat, the savings won't be that much since you are already at a low level. You can try and see, but personally I doubt it will be worth it.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

10. Back To Top    #10

thanks gang...since I already have the CYA chems to increase a bit, and since summer is not fully upon us yet, I am thinking I will take her up to 40 and then continue to monitor closely, etc.
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by toofast
    thanks gang...since I already have the CYA chems to increase a bit, and since summer is not fully upon us yet, I am thinking I will take her up to 40 and then continue to monitor closely, etc.
    lmk how u do at 40, im curious as to your loss patterns
    cheers