Think my pump is too big, but would like others opinion/help

Apr 18, 2012
I purchased a 1hp Hayward Power-Flo LX Series for my 22'x4' AGP last summer. I thought our current pump setup (2 intex pumps running side by side) was toast, but it turned out to be debris trapped in the intake of the first pump. So the new pump was never installed. This summer I decided to install it and sell my other pumps as one went with a small intex sand filter and a friend wanted it. I am using an old 200lb sand filter my dad had that is rated for 44 GPM max and my pump shows 60 GPM, I never really thought this would be a problem. But I am now having issues with my pump blowing fine sand/dirty water through my filter, it isn't the filter sand it is fine sand from the pool. If I vacuum a spot that is really dirty I can see it come right out my return. Is there anything I can do besides buy a new smaller pump or larger sand filter to resolve my problem.

Thanks
Tanner

Re: Think my pump is too big, but would like others opinion/

Did you thoroughly inspect the filter before installing it? No problems with any of the internal parts? Did you check the backwash valve seals to make sure you are not just bypassing the filter?

Do you have a valve on the pressure side that you could partly close to increase headloss and reduce the flow rate to see if that really is the problem?

I took the sand out and filter internals out today and checked everything internally and all was good. Not really sure about the backwash seals not really sure how to check them. The seals that I could see inside the valve looked to be in good shape. I am getting really dirty water out on a backwash and I rinse for at least 1 minute. I do have a valve on the pressure side, so your saying to choke it down some and see if it stops. I had thought of that but have not tried it, wasn't sure how much to choke it down.

As long as water keeps moving, you will not hurt the pump. You could try choking it down some and vacuuming and see if dirt still returns to the pool.

What is the diameter of your filter?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I would guess by your posting that your spider gasket or seal in your sand filter valve is bad. If so
this will allow some of the filtered out matter to go back into your return line instead of going through the filter or to waste whichever setting you have choses.

I have a Hayward S200 sand filter and know that I have had to replace this spider seal 2 times in 40 years. If they are not glued down properly with waterproof adhesive they will eventually fail.

You have to take the top off your 6 way Hayward valve that is attached to your filter. This applies if you have the same Hayward filter that I do S 200.

Is there anything I can do besides buy a new smaller pump or larger sand filter to resolve my problem.
Assuming you are backwashing correctly, your filter should not be returning dirt to the pool. I would inspect the sand bed to see if it is reasonably clean and not channeled. As suggested above, throttling down the pump is an option as well.

Well I thought I had this figured out choked the pump down and it seemed to work but pool was fairly clean. We have had sand storms all week and pool has been super dirty today tried to vacuum with valve still choked down and sand starting coming back into pool. Tried to choke it down some more and still sand coming through..very very fine sand so fine that it makes the water look murky and you cant see the actual sand particles and it takes several hours for it to settle on bottom.

Today I took valve apart to inspect spider gasket, it looks ok no visible rips or uneven wear, but it is worn down some. Only problem is all the stickers on the valve are all gone and the only sticker on the filter itself says Auquatools, and I can't seem to find any info on them. The diameter of the filter is 20", the sticker on the side of the filter that shows specs is somewhat intact so I can get a pic or info off of it, but it is against the fence and its dark so I will have to get the info tomorrow as I will have to spin filter around and it's still full of sand and water.

One thing is I did notice inside the pipe going to the later tubes the water was dirty just like the water coming out of the filter so make me think it has to be coming from the filter side and not the valve, but I could be wrong.

Here are some pictures of my gasket, what do you guys think? I found a source for the plug and gasket assembly, and a new spring for about $40, I am guessing I should probably replace those and see what happens.

nby7.jpg

02b9.jpg

I didn't think so either I have seen bad gaskets (was a GM technician for 13 years) and this one looked ok to me. But then again I have never seen a new gasket to compare it to. I really think my filter is just to small and I am blowing the fine particles through it. Pump is 60GPM and filter is rated for 40GPM. One question though, typicaly how far from the top of the filter opening should the sand be? I am thinking maybe I need to add some sand mine is about 12" below the top of the neck opening.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

How do you know the pump is producing 60 GPM? Do you have a flow meter?

mas985 said:
How do you know the pump is producing 60 GPM? Do you have a flow meter?
Just going by the ratings on the pump. I assumed it would be atleast that, I have 2" plumbing and not a very long runs.

Here are the specs for my pump..

Voltage
Port Size
1 1/2"
Cord Size
6'
Ctn. Qty.
Ctn. Weight
25 lbs.
H.P.
40 ft
58 GPM
50 ft
27 GPM
10 ft
86 GPM
20 ft
86 GPM
30 ft
75 GPM

What is the filter pressure and the gauge height relative to the water level?

The pump flow rate is over 60 GPM and closer to 70 GPM so you might consider the SD 80 instead just to be safe. Plus Pentair overrates their filters so technically, the SD 80 is more like a 70 GPM filter than a 80 GPM filter.

Ok replaced filter with new Pentair SD 80 and 350lbs of new sand and STILL having problems. I think I am using the wrong sand, I have been using the Quikrete Pool filter sand from Home Depot and I think its sand particles are too big. I finally found on the company's website (not on the bag) where it is .85-425mm and #20 is like .45-.55mm. Not sure why it worked fine last year besides the fact my old pump wasn't pushing water through it as hard. Frustrated, but hope this solves the problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.