Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filter leaking out backwash line/handle loose

1. Back To Top    #1

Filter leaking out backwash line/handle loose

Hey guys,

New to the forum here. Great place first info.

I just opened my brand new pool for the season and hooked up my used pump and filter and now I notice that there is a small amount of water coming out of the backwash line when the filter is on. When the power is off, it trickles out a little bit.

I thought maybe it was the spider gasket but I also read that if the handle is loose that could be the issue as well. I tried moving the handle to different positions (Even winterize) and water shoots out of the backwash line.

My pump and filters are made by Hayward. The handle for the multipurpose valve is on top of the filter. As I said before that handle is quite loose and doesn't sit all the way down when it's in a given position. I can get it to lock in a certain spot, but it seems really loose no matter where it is.

Help please!

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Filter leaking out backwash line/handle loose

Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you need to replace the spring in the multiport. While there, replace or inspect the spider gasket, too.

Don't turn the multiport handle when the pump is running.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you need to replace the spring in the multiport. While there, replace or inspect the spider gasket, too.

Don't turn the multiport handle when the pump is running.
    Thank you.

Is that something I can take in to my local pool shop to fix?

Also, do I need to take water out of my pool so that it doesn't rush out when I'm trying to take the top off of my filter?

The filter I have is a Hayward SP714

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Is that something I can take in to my local pool shop to fix? Probably

Also, do I need to take water out of my pool so that it doesn't rush out when I'm trying to take the top off of my filter? You don't tell us if you have an IG pool or an AG pool. Got a pic?
    Dave S.

5. Back To Top    #5

Is that something I can take in to my local pool shop to fix? Probably

Also, do I need to take water out of my pool so that it doesn't rush out when I'm trying to take the top off of my filter? You don't tell us if you have an IG pool or an AG pool. Got a pic?
    Sorry. Above ground.

At work now, can post a pic later today.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Since it's AG, you will have to shut off the pipes so the water doesn't come out. Do you have any valves installed?
    Dave S.

7. Back To Top    #7

Since it's AG, you will have to shut off the pipes so the water doesn't come out. Do you have any valves installed?
    I do not. Just straight hoses running to and from the filter/pump.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Can't tell without a pic, but perhaps you can simply put the hoses over the side back into the pool.
    Dave S.

9. Back To Top    #9

Can't tell without a pic, but perhaps you can simply put the hoses over the side back into the pool.
    When taking off the lid on the filter, do I have to worry about built up pressure?

Should I open the drain plug a little bit before taking it off?

Sorry I'm a Kindergartner when it comes to this stuff.

10. Back To Top    #10

I would just plug the openings with a bag or something, it won't completely stop the water flow, but will slow it down, and once the hose is off, lift the hose above the pool (if possible) that will not allow any water to escape. If your fast enough you shouldn't loose too much water.

13500 gallon AG, build late 90's, Hayward S220T sand filter,1Hp aqua coastal
    Gasser BBQ broilmate 155154 LP, Smoker CGK (akorn)

11. Back To Top    #11

Called my pool place, they said it would be $30 labor to put on the gasket and change the spring.

Is that something I can easily do on my own? If not, I don't mind spending the money on it, I just don't know how difficult it is to change the spring.

Thanks

12. Back To Top    #12

So I got home, got the cover off the multi port and the spring is still completely compressed. The spider gasket looks.pretty good but

I looked down inside the other portion towards the bottom of the sand filter and it looks like the top piece of the long white tube that goes.down into the sand filter is bowed out in 1 spot and cracked. Sorry I don't Know the specific names.

13. Back To Top    #13

Cracks are not good as they will let debris skip the sand. Might have to pull all the sand out and replace the stand pipe (I think that is what it is called).
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

14. Back To Top    #14

I do this when I am cleaning my filter. I just use my vacuum hose to shut off my pool's skimmer.

I plug in one section of filter hose into the base of my skimmer and let it draw air

In this photo, the pump and filter are disconnected from the pool. The silver hose is connected to the skimmer and the pool's return fitting. This is my return hose. It would normally go from the filter outlet and back into the pool. The black hose would normally be connected to my skimmer's outlet (where the silver hose is).
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100