Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: muriatic acid

1. Back To Top    #1

muriatic acid

I need to lower my TA and we bought the muriatic acid at the hardware store. The type we bought is Crown NEXT which is supposed to be a safer form of it, with less fumes. Is it a problem to use this form or should I get the normal muriatic acid?
    Thanks,
    Gia1975

27' above ground
    17,100 gallons
    sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: muriatic acid

Welcome to TFP!!!

Depends what makes it "safer". Usually it just means that it is a lower concentration of acid {that they charge the same amount of money for}
    What is the % listed? Any other interesting info on the package?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the welcome! I have learned much since I found the site last August. Then I needed to raise my alkalinity and instead of $80 worth of the pool store's buckets I used $8 worth of baking soda

The label says "Crown Muriatic Acid NEXT is the safer alternative to Hydrochloric Acid 20 (however you make that degree symbol on here) Baume (31.45%) with less fumes and lower odor." Nowhere does it say what the actual concentration is. It just compares it to the 31.45% concentration.

Ahhhh. I just tracked down the company's site and you are right. It's a 9.8 (degree) Baume 14.5% solution. And, of course, according to the pool calculator I'll need twice as much of it.

Thank you.
    Gia1975

27' above ground
    17,100 gallons
    sand filter

4. Back To Top    #4

You got it
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I was just about to ask about this. At Lowes now comparing the two. The Crown regular version says "do not mix with chlorine type bleaches or any other household product, exterior use only" Im assuming this is the right stuff though as its straight MA, right? Any info on the percentage for this one?

6. Back To Top    #6

I just went through this and since I needed like 7 gallons I was comparing the regular crown and the NEXT, good thing I got the regular 31.45% as others have said only difference is lower concentration.
    I/G Concrete w/spa 29k Gallons (I think lol)
    DE
    Nature2 thingy disabled
    Polaris 280
    Aqualink RS4

7. Back To Top    #7

Lowes has the Crown brand: Reg (unkown percentage) is $6.49/gallon; Next is $7.29/gallon (15% I think we concluded)
    Ace has the 31.45% for $7.99/gallon

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AdrenalinPlease View Post
    I just went through this and since I needed like 7 gallons I was comparing the regular crown and the NEXT, good thing I got the regular 31.45% as others have said only difference is lower concentration.
    How did you find out the percentage on the Regular? I couldn't find it anywhere
    Upstate, NY, Direct Sunlight, Above Ground (18'x 33' x 4'), Oval 15700 gallons, Vinyl; Hayward S180T sand filter; 1 HP motor; TF-100

8. Back To Top    #8

Bought some MA from Lowes about 2 weeks ago. Im pretty sure it was the NEXT brand. It did say on the back but it was kind of hard to find. It was 31.45%. There was also a brand that said Safer, but I didnt bother to even look at it because it should have been half strength.
    18,000 Gallon Aboveground. Sand Filter with 2HP 2 speed Pump.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy24 View Post
    I was just about to ask about this. At Lowes now comparing the two. The Crown regular version says "do not mix with chlorine type bleaches or any other household product, exterior use only" Im assuming this is the right stuff though as its straight MA, right? Any info on the percentage for this one?
    You would never want to directly mix muriatic acid and chlorine. However, you can add chlorine to your water with the pump running - wait 30 min - then add your acid. Or vice versa.
    27' AG 18K Gallons ~ Cartridge Filter ~ Pentair 1.5 HP Pump

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by northrn View Post
    You would never want to directly mix muriatic acid and chlorine. However, you can add chlorine to your water with the pump running - wait 30 min - then add your acid. Or vice versa.
    ah, gotcha. I can't remember if I waited or added to the pool closely together... hopefully it's not a big issue.
    Upstate, NY, Direct Sunlight, Above Ground (18'x 33' x 4'), Oval 15700 gallons, Vinyl; Hayward S180T sand filter; 1 HP motor; TF-100

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by northrn View Post
    Very true!

I was in a hurry last time I needed both MA and chlorine and added one at the east return, then one at the west return. Figured it was OK in a 40' long pool. That was the same night I discovered high humidity and no wind = bad time to add MA from a large pitcher. In the headspace on the top of my measuring pitcher the acid fumes were mixing with the water vapor in the air, creating a much larger cloud of noxious gas than usual. No wind means it didn't go anywhere but linger over the pitcher and in my general vicinity. Think I'll stick to adding it directly from the bottle. Small opening = less opportunity for water vapor to mix with acid fumes. A few ounces off by eyeballing the measurement is not a big deal in a ~30K gallon pool.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy24 View Post
    Lowes has the Crown brand: Reg (unkown percentage) is $6.49/gallon; Next is $7.29/gallon (15% I think we concluded)
    Ace has the 31.45% for $7.99/gallon

- - - Updated - - -

How did you find out the percentage on the Regular? I couldn't find it anywhere
    It is on the bottle, I dont remember where exactly but its on there.

Quote Originally Posted by easttn View Post
    Bought some MA from Lowes about 2 weeks ago. Im pretty sure it was the NEXT brand. It did say on the back but it was kind of hard to find. It was 31.45%. There was also a brand that said Safer, but I didnt bother to even look at it because it should have been half strength.
    The NEXT is the lower safer percentage.
    I/G Concrete w/spa 29k Gallons (I think lol)
    DE
    Nature2 thingy disabled
    Polaris 280
    Aqualink RS4

13. Back To Top    #13

I use the Crown product from Lowe's. It is 20 Baume = 31.45%
    19' x 37' Freeform IG; 25,500 gallons; max depth 8'6" with diving board; sun bench and swim out shelf. PebbleSheen Blue Granite Finish; Noble Tile--NVSA616 Peacock; Sandstone Retaining Wall; Oklahoma Flagstone Coping, Aggregate Deck; Small Water Feature w/ Moss Rock (70% flats and 30% boulders) Jandy Stealth 2HP Pump and CV460 Filter; AquaCal SQ156 Heat Pump/Chiller; Polaris 380 pressure cleaner w/ Halcyon boost pump.

14. Back To Top    #14

The label has a QR Code (Quick Response Code). If you scan it you get this URL http://packserv.com/mobile/crown/cle...acid/index.htm

That takes you to a product spec sheet/booklet. Hope this helps!
    19' x 37' Freeform IG; 25,500 gallons; max depth 8'6" with diving board; sun bench and swim out shelf. PebbleSheen Blue Granite Finish; Noble Tile--NVSA616 Peacock; Sandstone Retaining Wall; Oklahoma Flagstone Coping, Aggregate Deck; Small Water Feature w/ Moss Rock (70% flats and 30% boulders) Jandy Stealth 2HP Pump and CV460 Filter; AquaCal SQ156 Heat Pump/Chiller; Polaris 380 pressure cleaner w/ Halcyon boost pump.

15. Back To Top    #15

AdrenalinPlease was right. It was Crown I bought. It says the percentage on the back label up above where it says DANGER! POISON.
    18,000 Gallon Aboveground. Sand Filter with 2HP 2 speed Pump.