Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 2 out of 3 returns not working & then some...

1. Back To Top    #1

2 out of 3 returns not working & then some...

I opened my pool Sunday. When I went to take the last cap off of the 3rd return in my pool I found that my pool company had left the eye in that return. I live in Northern Illinois and it does freeze here. Now, I only have 1 working return (and it's not the one that the eye was left on). I'm not sure if the two of these things could be related. I'm worried I have a (or two) cracked pipe(s). Anyone ever have the same issue? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    22,000 IG Plaster, 2.5 HP Pentair pump,Cartridge Filter 420 sq.ft 1HP booster pump with Zodiak Mars pool sweep(junk),Laars Heater (currently not working)
    Taylor K2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: 2 out of 3 returns not working & then some...

Is your water level leaking down?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Not that I've noticed as of yet.
    22,000 IG Plaster, 2.5 HP Pentair pump,Cartridge Filter 420 sq.ft 1HP booster pump with Zodiak Mars pool sweep(junk),Laars Heater (currently not working)
    Taylor K2006 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

That should eliminate a cracked pipe. Are you saying you have two returns that are not putting water back in the pool?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP!!!

Do you have any valves at the equipment pad?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

I have 2 returns that are NOT working, one that is. I do have valves, they're all on the open position. I have tried opening and closing the valves...thinking it may be that but it doesn't make a difference. I'm at my wits end!
    Taylor K2006 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

So, come to find out my pressure gauge was not working properly - there was a small leak on the bottom of the filter. After sealing the cap on properly the pressure was then high enough for the other two returns to work. Thanks for all your input, glad it was a happy outcome!
    Taylor K2006 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Glad you figured it out ... although I am a little surprised that a small leak would have lowered the pressure enough to have no flow out of some of the returns
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!