DIY Kit Installation

jrbdlb

Jun 18, 2013
Venetia, PA
I'm new to this site and I just ordered an inground pool kit (18'x36'). I've been reviewing the instructions from the company I purchased the pool from (www.intheswim.com). When installing the metal panels, the instructions state to install 8"x16" patio blocks under the panels where adjacent panels meet to simplify the leveling process (the instructions have you placing wooden shims where necessary under the panels (and above the blocks). I haven't seen this done this way in other installation manuals I've seen online. I'm interested in what others have done to shim where necessary to level these panels. Thanks!

That is the same instructions I used. My dig for the wall panels was very level, so I had very little leveling to do. When I did need to level I simply lifted the wall a bit and shoved shim(s) under it. If your wall shelf is not very level, the patio block would work great. What you would do is at the point where walls meet each other, did down the size and thickness of the patio block so the block is flush with the dirt. Then place walls on that and use shims to level.

Charlie_R said:
Wood shims are available in packs of 24 and more at your local lumber store. Builders use them a lot for installing doors and windows

Exactly! Since I just completed house construction last summer I had lots left over.

jrbdlb, please feel free to pm me with any questions. This exact pool is very fresh in my mind and I may be able to clarify some things that were not clear to me initially.

jrbdlb said:
Thanks again and I will contact you if I have any questions. The excavating starts tomorrow and the pool should be delivered on Friday.

I wish your rock free excavation!

I know the kit comes with flexible PVC. I would strongly suggest going with rigid and going with 2". Its not too expensive nor hard to put together.

I will be putting my liner in next week. Pad is being poured tomorrow with some sidewalks, ill set the equipment Friday then on a 3 day vacation, then when I get back liner in and water!

Already been hitting lots of rocks. As far as the piping, its amazing about the different opinions. My kit did came with flexible PVC but I was planning on using rigid. Today, my excavator, who does a lot of work for local pool companies, said to use the flexible PVC and to bury the PVC in the concrete collar. I also have been getting different opinions on deck bracing. The company I ordered the pool from said not to use the bracing that attaches to the pool panels but to tamp the backfill every foot of depth. I talked to a guy who used to install pools for a local company and he said to use the deck bracing and that tamping the backfill could bow the panels. A friend of mine who had a pool company install his pool said they installed 4" PVC pipe every 6' around the pool prior to adding the concrete collar. When the concrete collar was poured the 4" pipe was filled to use as pillars to support the concrete decking. I sure wish there was one agreed upon method for doing all of this work!

jrbdlb said:
Already been hitting lots of rocks. As far as the piping, its amazing about the different opinions. My kit did came with flexible PVC but I was planning on using rigid. Today, my excavator, who does a lot of work for local pool companies, said to use the flexible PVC and to bury the PVC in the concrete collar. I also have been getting different opinions on deck bracing. The company I ordered the pool from said not to use the bracing that attaches to the pool panels but to tamp the backfill every foot of depth. I talked to a guy who used to install pools for a local company and he said to use the deck bracing and that tamping the backfill could bow the panels. A friend of mine who had a pool company install his pool said they installed 4" PVC pipe every 6' around the pool prior to adding the concrete collar. When the concrete collar was poured the 4" pipe was filled to use as pillars to support the concrete decking. I sure wish there was one agreed upon method for doing all of this work!

My excavator also does work for local pool also said to use flexible, as that is what all the pool companies he works for uses. My opinion though is they use that simply for cost. Its much cheaper to lay that line and bend it where needed as opposed to cutting and gluing. In addition, you will be amazed at how much more GPM you will get from 2" versus the 1.5" flex.

As for deck bracing, I did not use any. I backfilled with stone which had like a 90% compaction rate. I filled it 10-12" at a time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I didnt use flex, I ran all rigid 2 inch. It is not in concrete. I put a few inches of stone down, then ran all the rigid pvc. I pressure tested obsessively. When I would complete 3 sections of pipe, I test. Then when it was all done to the pad, I tested it all again.

Here are the instructions I used to make mine. A couple changes I made were I use a washing machine line instead of the garden hose adapter. I also used a rubber coupling on the end rather than the pvc male adapter. I plug the line im testing with plumbing test plugs from lowes. Before plugging the line I flood the line with water until water comes out. I then cap the line, turn on the water more and watch the pressure rise up to around 20 psi. I leave it sit like that for about an hour.

http://www.royalswimmingpools.com/blog/pvc-plumbing-pressure-testing/

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.