Conversion to begin on Friday, June 22nd

Jun 18, 2013
I have a 15,000 gallon above ground pool and have been using Baquacil for over 7 years. I have struggled with persistant Algea, Water mold and couldy water. I have spent thousands of $$$ trying to fix the problem and it never seems to clear up. I have had it and am going to take the plunge and convert.

I have a question....how do you measure the Baquacil level? I use the CDX system. The pool store analyzes my water and I get PH, Alkalinity, Oxidizer levels and sanitizer levels.

I will post pictures when I begin the process. Wish me luck.

Re: Conversion to begin on Friday, July 22nd

Welcome to TFP! May I ask why you are waiting until July 22nd to start?

Once you start the conversion, you'll ignore the Baqua levels and focus on your free chlorine levels.

Yeah, you can ignore the baquagoo. Just focus on maintaining the high levels of chlorine which will be consumed quite qu9ickly at first.

I would double or triple the bleach. You will never waste it as you can use it for daily chlorination of your pool.

I have a new and interesting development in my Baquacil pool. Sheets of slime have appeared in the bottom, but the pool has suddenly become clear (it was milky cloud and bottom not visible since opening in May). I am guessing the slime is getting worse because I have not added any Bauq chemicals in preparation for the conversion. It is just another reason why I am so excited to begin the conversion process. Tomorrow night we start the conversion. My garage looks like a warehouse with all the Bleach bottles. Daugher actually asked me if we were going to open a laundry mat :goodjob: I will get my water tested today and adjust PH if necessary. Pictures coming soon.

aspyksma said:
I have a new and interesting development in my Baquacil pool. Sheets of slime have appeared in the bottom, but the pool has suddenly become clear (it was milky cloud and bottom not visible since opening in May). I am guessing the slime is getting worse because I have not added any Bauq chemicals in preparation for the conversion. It is just another reason why I am so excited to begin the conversion process. Tomorrow night we start the conversion. My garage looks like a warehouse with all the Bleach bottles. Daugher actually asked me if we were going to open a laundry mat :goodjob: I will get my water tested today and adjust PH if necessary. Pictures coming soon.
If you have a multiport valve, you could try vacuuming that bottom sludge to waste before you start the bleach.

In case you didn't know, we want pictures. Lots of them.

I have started the conversion but am unsure about how to test for FC. I purchased the Taylor K-2006 and do not know how much of the DPD power to use. the instruction say two dippers but I don't know how much two dipper is. Any advice would be much appreciated. I added a couple of photos of the first bleach add.

Attachments

• 6-22.jpg
    6-22.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 254
  • 6-23  1.jpg
    6-23 1.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 254
  • 6-23 2.jpg
    6-23 2.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 254

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
aspyksma said:
I have started the conversion but am unsure about how to test for FC. I purchased the Taylor K-2006 and do not know how much of the DPD power to use. the instruction say two dippers but I don't know how much two dipper is. Any advice would be much appreciated. I added a couple of photos of the first bleach add.
A couple pointers:
1) Use the 10 ml sample size. so each drop is .5 ppm
2) One rounded - like a miniscule scoop of ice cream - scoop is plenty of powder. If you still have one or two granules of powder undissolved after it turns pink but before you add the drops, you have enough.

[center:pcngvyit][youtube:pcngvyit]PHQG4tgQsFE[/youtube:pcngvyit][/center:pcngvyit]

aspyksma said:
I am adding the R0870 (two scoops) and the water does not turn pink. Should I add more?
No... it probably means you have no FC left.

Do you still have the sample? Use a stick or a knife or your finger and dip it in a bleach bottle and then put it in the sample. If it turns pinks, you have the answer.

The TF100 uses the OTO chlorine test (yellow colors) which would tell you if it has too little or too much FC, but the K-2006 uses the pink DPD tester, so it won't help you out.

I am 10 bottles of bleach into the conversion and can only hold my FC for about two hours. It is sunny and hot today and I may hold off on adding additional bleach until the sun goes down. The water goes from brownish green to light green as the FC drops to zero. I have a scum layer that forms after adding bleach. Pumb preasure is holding and has not increased.

Conversion is in full swing. I am having trouble with the FC test. Should the test water turn pink again after the FC test is complete and the water had gone clear? I have watched the video but can't tell if the water will turn pink again after sittting for a few mins - post testing.

FC 12
CC 10

Attachments

• Day 1.jpg
    Day 1.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 226
  • Skimmer Day 1.jpg
    Skimmer Day 1.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 226

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.