Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Conversion to begin on Friday, June 22nd

1. Back To Top    #1

Conversion to begin on Friday, June 22nd

I have a 15,000 gallon above ground pool and have been using Baquacil for over 7 years. I have struggled with persistant Algea, Water mold and couldy water. I have spent thousands of $$$ trying to fix the problem and it never seems to clear up. I have had it and am going to take the plunge and convert.

I have a question....how do you measure the Baquacil level? I use the CDX system. The pool store analyzes my water and I get PH, Alkalinity, Oxidizer levels and sanitizer levels.

I will post pictures when I begin the process. Wish me luck.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Conversion to begin on Friday, July 22nd

Welcome to TFP! May I ask why you are waiting until July 22nd to start?
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Once you start the conversion, you'll ignore the Baqua levels and focus on your free chlorine levels.

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: Conversion to begin on Friday, June 22nd

I am starting it June 22nd....not July 22nd or as soon as my test kit arrives. I purchased 12 1.45 gallons of 6.15% bleach, am guessing I will need at least double that amount.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Yeah, you can ignore the baquagoo. Just focus on maintaining the high levels of chlorine which will be consumed quite qu9ickly at first.

I would double or triple the bleach. You will never waste it as you can use it for daily chlorination of your pool.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I have a new and interesting development in my Baquacil pool. Sheets of slime have appeared in the bottom, but the pool has suddenly become clear (it was milky cloud and bottom not visible since opening in May). I am guessing the slime is getting worse because I have not added any Bauq chemicals in preparation for the conversion. It is just another reason why I am so excited to begin the conversion process. Tomorrow night we start the conversion. My garage looks like a warehouse with all the Bleach bottles. Daugher actually asked me if we were going to open a laundry mat I will get my water tested today and adjust PH if necessary. Pictures coming soon.

7. Back To Top    #7

Hi there. Keep us posted. How about posting a couple of pics of your pool as it is now? Many of us here (me included) enjoy reading the conversion threads. But LOTS OF PICS!! And good luck. Wise decision!!
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by aspyksma
    I have a new and interesting development in my Baquacil pool. Sheets of slime have appeared in the bottom, but the pool has suddenly become clear (it was milky cloud and bottom not visible since opening in May). I am guessing the slime is getting worse because I have not added any Bauq chemicals in preparation for the conversion. It is just another reason why I am so excited to begin the conversion process. Tomorrow night we start the conversion. My garage looks like a warehouse with all the Bleach bottles. Daugher actually asked me if we were going to open a laundry mat I will get my water tested today and adjust PH if necessary. Pictures coming soon.
    If you have a multiport valve, you could try vacuuming that bottom sludge to waste before you start the bleach.

In case you didn't know, we want pictures. Lots of them.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

Yes, I plan to vacuum the goop out prior to putting in the bleach. I will get a picture tonight and post.

10. Back To Top    #10

I have started the conversion but am unsure about how to test for FC. I purchased the Taylor K-2006 and do not know how much of the DPD power to use. the instruction say two dippers but I don't know how much two dipper is. Any advice would be much appreciated. I added a couple of photos of the first bleach add.
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. Back To Top    #11

I have started the conversion but am unsure about how to test for FC. I purchased the Taylor K-2006 and do not know how much of the DPD power to use. the instruction say two dippers but I don't know how much two dipper is. Any advice would be much appreciated. I added a couple of photos of the first bleach add.
    A couple pointers:
    1) Use the 10 ml sample size. so each drop is .5 ppm
    2) One rounded - like a miniscule scoop of ice cream - scoop is plenty of powder. If you still have one or two granules of powder undissolved after it turns pink but before you add the drops, you have enough.

[centercngvyit][youtubecngvyit]PHQG4tgQsFE[/youtubecngvyit][/centercngvyit]
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

12. Back To Top    #12

I am adding the R0870 (two scoops) and the water does not turn pink. Should I add more?

13. Back To Top    #13

I am adding the R0870 (two scoops) and the water does not turn pink. Should I add more?
    No... it probably means you have no FC left.

Do you still have the sample? Use a stick or a knife or your finger and dip it in a bleach bottle and then put it in the sample. If it turns pinks, you have the answer.

The TF100 uses the OTO chlorine test (yellow colors) which would tell you if it has too little or too much FC, but the K-2006 uses the pink DPD tester, so it won't help you out.

14. Back To Top    #14

I am 10 bottles of bleach into the conversion and can only hold my FC for about two hours. It is sunny and hot today and I may hold off on adding additional bleach until the sun goes down. The water goes from brownish green to light green as the FC drops to zero. I have a scum layer that forms after adding bleach. Pumb preasure is holding and has not increased.

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

All sounds normal. Keep the chlorine in there...you're on the right track! I would wait for the sun to get off the pool as well. Then, Hit it again before bedtime.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

16. Back To Top    #16

Conversion is in full swing. I am having trouble with the FC test. Should the test water turn pink again after the FC test is complete and the water had gone clear? I have watched the video but can't tell if the water will turn pink again after sittting for a few mins - post testing.

FC 12
    CC 10
    Attached Images Attached Images

17. Back To Top    #17

Conversion is in full swing. I am having trouble with the FC test. Should the test water turn pink again after the FC test is complete and the water had gone clear? I have watched the video but can't tell if the water will turn pink again after sittting for a few mins - post testing.

FC 12
    CC 10
    That's normal.

18. Back To Top    #18

Looks like you're on your way to having this figured out!!
    Bestway SWG

19. Back To Top    #19

You can save your reagents some. Pass on testing your CC levels for now.

20. Back To Top    #20

Good point. You know you have high CC. That's why you're shocking. No point in testing for them.
    Bestway SWG

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast